The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Does being fit affect your riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/does-being-fit-affect-your-riding-43699/)

wannahorse22 12-28-2009 02:17 PM

Does being fit affect your riding?

Hello all!
I have been wondering if being fit and eating healthy improves your riding. No, i am not talking about skinny, but being strong and healthy.:-)
Pleeze answer!

White Foot 12-28-2009 02:18 PM

Yes, :)

You're a very intelligent girl for your age.

wannahorse22 12-28-2009 02:27 PM

Why thankyou:) I am flattered.

White Foot 12-28-2009 02:32 PM

The more in shape you are not only helps you but also your horse.

thunderhooves 12-28-2009 02:55 PM

It does. You can think better.....and have more muscle for those heavy wetsern saddles! lol......

Spastic_Dove 12-28-2009 03:28 PM

Yep! Strength, Stamina, etc are all extremely important for riding. You don't necessarily have to be skinny, but strong is always good. Yoga and Pilates are great for riding as well as cardio and free weights :)

MuleWrangler 12-28-2009 03:32 PM

Absolutely, and with just about anything else you do! And, conversely, after you have been consistently riding for a while, you will notice yourself getting more fit.

Thunderhooves has it right--if you eat well and are fit, your brain functions better, and your body responds and behaves better. If you're not doing things to keep yourself fit, start making little changes like taking the stairs over taking an elevator or escalator, or swapping peanut-butter crackers for peanut butter on celery. Don't ever "go on a diet"--that implies you can "get back off" of it. Make lifestyle changes instead (make small changes over time and keep telling yourself it is for your health, fitness and longevity).

Honeysuga 12-29-2009 06:22 AM

Being fit and having good nutrition has a lot to do with how we ride and work with our horses.

A strong core allows us to balance better when we ride as well as be able to handle and carry large objects such as saddles, wheelbarrows, hay bales, and feed sacks. It allows us to be able to ride and work longer with out slowing down and becoming sore as easily.

Having good nutrition allows our bodies to work efficiently and effectively. It allows our brains to work better, our eyes to see better, and even our ears to hear better as well.

Being skinny, not so much. There is a difference between being thin and being healthy. The thinner you are(past the "healthy" BMI), the less strain your body can take, the harder it is for you to recover. We are made to function at a certain BMI, not less than that. Being too thin affects your ability to handle activities that come with handling a horse.

PaintHorseMares 12-29-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 503835)
A strong core allows us to balance better when we ride...

Yes, the core muscle groups are very important to balance. I know folks my age (50+) who have actually taken up riding as a way to excercise these muscles.

Lobelia Overhill 12-29-2009 07:59 AM

Eating healthily is essential for your general health!