The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Communication Game (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/communication-game-4370/)

AKPaintLover 11-16-2007 04:11 PM

Communication Game

Just wanted to share...Last night at our 4H meeting, my co-leader and I played the communication game with our kids (Parelli inspired). I have watched it done on the Parelli video, which was pretty funny and interesting, but actually doing it was hillarious! We sent the older kids downstairs to work on homework and left the two younger girls working at the table while we left the room to devise our plan. We were going to each go out and get our selected girl to get out of their chair and go to a designated door to open it using no voice or no physically moving. We went out, empty soda bottles in hand (the only item we were allowed to use to touch them - doesn't hurt).

I went up to my "horse" and began tapping her shoulder to encourage her out of her chair. She looked at me like I was crazy at first, and the she got to the point where she jumped out of her chair and went screaming out of the room up the stairs...she spooked away from me :) My co-leaders horse went the more stubborn confused approach and pushed (kicked/bit) her handler saying "go away", until she saw the other horse spook, at which point heard mentality took over and she joined her buddy screaming up the stairs. It went on with us trying to communicate to our "horses", and learning how/when/where to apply tapping/rhythmic pressure to the girls to get what we wanted. It took probably 20 minutes to get them to do the task at hand. It was soooo fun. It was great for the girls and us...we all went back and drew connections between how they felt and how their horses might feel when they do certain things.

The girls got to then do a task to the older girls...who were much more stubborn "horses". One of the older girls knew about the communication game and chose to be stubborn anyway....you know that horse who has learned it all, but likes to play games :)

It was a really valuable learning experience for our group and for us. We plan to connect back to that lesson and their feelings of confusion, frustration, how they knew they had done things right, wrong, the importance of release, phases, etc. durning our upcoming weekly 4H lessons.

I just wanted to share and reccomend to everyone to learn about the Parelli communication game, and try it with an unsuspecing "horse". It is an eye opener for handler and "horse".

:) :)

Vidaloco 11-17-2007 07:45 AM

I have never played the game but saw it on a video. VERY enlightening.

gus_is-my_baby- 11-17-2007 09:18 AM

that sounds very fun!!! and i bet it was hilarious!!!

Spirithorse 11-20-2007 12:57 PM

Ah yes, the good 'ol communication game lol! If you look past the sillyness of it when you play it with your friends, if it takes you a long time to get the message across to a human, imagine how confused your horse might get! It's a great way to test how good of a comminicator you can be for your horse.