The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   triple crown grain (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/triple-crown-grain-43708/)

barnprincess 12-28-2009 03:34 PM

triple crown grain

ive been using triple crown for about 4 mnths now,and love it. i switched from poulin wich was like 2 - 3 bags a week and its just one bag a month each now its such a money saver. ginger is on the 30% and lunas on the complete. luna just gets 3 qts - 4qts a day shes a fatty and very very easy keeper. with some beet pulp and all day hay.ginger gets the 2lbs of 30% , beet pulp and all day hay as well.

i did tons of research and talked to tons of people who said the 30% isnt to be fed with any other grain that it IS grain. now some one is telling me i should be feeding the 30% with the complete or just the complete in a higher poundage.. im confused

any one know ?

My Beau 12-28-2009 04:35 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about this: Triple Crown Nutrition - 30% Supplement

The website says you can feed grain with it, but I wouldn't. It's a ration balancer so it's pretty chocked full of everything (vitamins/minerals) a horse really needs.

The only thing a horse on a RB needs is hay and a salt block (not mineral!) and any supplements they still require.

barnprincess 12-28-2009 06:05 PM

thats what i thought . when they told me that i was like what the heck

sillybunny11486 12-28-2009 06:13 PM

The point of a ration balancer is so you dont need to give them grain to get nutritents. Its ment for horses on just forage diets. Ive never herd of a ration balancer that you have to give more then a pound of per day. I do like triple crown products though.

barnprincess 12-28-2009 06:30 PM

well the 30% directions are 2lbs for intensley worked horses. my mares still underweight so thats why shes getting 2 lbs =] . shes gained so much since being on this its incredable. shes almost there. but her top line and butt still havent improoved where i want them to be . she told me thats bc shes not getting enough. i thought those came from muscle lol.

KristinJ 12-28-2009 07:08 PM

Ok say you feed the complete. But You only feed say 3-4 lbs of it (and they recomment 6lbs+) THEN You feed a pound of the 30% supplement ASWELL. The only time you feed it with other grain is it you are feeding LESS then the recommended amount of the other feed. Example would be: Feeding TC Senior. Recommends feeding 6lbs. Horse is getting too fat, so you lower it to 4lbs. THEN you add the TC30 to make sure the horse is getting all the nutrients you need.

My long yearling gets TC30% (2lbs) beet pulp (1 lb) and free choice hay.

barnprincess 12-28-2009 07:28 PM

ah so im doing the correct thing then ? she gets 2 lbs 30% , 6 lbs beet pulp and all day timothy alfalfa , and an hr of pasture grass. and free choice fresh water and a red salt block that she actually ahsent touched since the 30% grain.

KristinJ 12-28-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnprincess (Post 503234)
ah so im doing the correct thing then ? she gets 2 lbs 30% , 6 lbs beet pulp and all day timothy alfalfa , and an hr of pasture grass. and free choice fresh water and a red salt block that she actually ahsent touched since the 30% grain.

YEP! You are doing good =)

Barrelracer Up 12-28-2009 08:14 PM

I actually bought my first bag of the 30% today for my new mare. The label read to feed 2 lbs a day with free choice good quality forage and pasture. It also said to feed grain (preferably oats or barley) to maintain desired weight. So I took it to mean, that if she looses weight, then I need to add some grain to help her out.....probably for the fat.....but I always thought corn was fat and oats was protein. Anywho.....If she ends up being a hard keeper, then I would add a pound or two of Complete. Otherwise do as you are doing.

Tripp 12-28-2009 08:22 PM

I'd keep her on the the reccomended amount of 30% and if she doesn't maintain her weight, add in Beet Pulp or alfalfa cubes/pellets....

Personally, I wouldn't feed another grain along side the 30% because, things just get to complicated there....