The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   head tossing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/head-tossing-4371/)

dinglehead 11-16-2007 07:10 PM

head tossing

I have a three year old filly that I'm training she always tosses her head when the bit is in her mouth It's a snaffle and she never used to. I've been leaving the halter on her and at first I didn't could the halter be changing the way the bit sits in her mouth????? :? :? :?

jazzyrider 11-16-2007 11:10 PM

hiya

i dont know if leaving the halter on would cause big issues. i quite often leave a halter on myself for one reason or another and dont have any problems

has she ever had her teeth filed? this may cause this problem

there may be other pain issues involved if she has only just started doing it whether it be a saddle not fitting issue or a back problem etc

it could also be the terrible 3's lol a lot of young horses go through a 'stage' around 3 or 4.

you arent using a very harsh bit so i think it unlikely the bit would be an issue but having said that, it isnt out of the question that she doesnt like the bit now for some reason

WranglerBlondie93. 11-16-2007 11:31 PM

i have got a 2 yr old filly turning 3 next month.
she used to toss her head alot she is broken in when she was about one not sure but, my bridle was a bit high in her month and she used to toss her head non stop so i put it down and shes alot happier now but she did have a terrible bit in her month before i bought her its a tom thumb and i know that aussie bits are different to overseas bits but she has now got a tom thumb snaffle but that was my problem.
i hope this may help but im sorry if it doesnt.
cheers

dinglehead 11-19-2007 08:12 AM

she is doing better now that I've stopped leaving the halter on. but it could be just her throwing a fit 'cause she also just was being a total brat too. my little sister has started riding my other horse with me riding Dandy and she's doing great with that (which is actually surprising 'cause she always is mean to him(kicking, nipping) )
I just wasn't sure 'cause I've never used a bet before the other horse I have is 30 and hasn't had a bit in his mouth exept for one time in the last 20 years my sister is 11 and small for her age and she can ride him bareback in a halter and he does perfect.
also how soon is too soon to start putting her in a bosal????? :?: :?: :? :?

kitten_Val 11-19-2007 12:24 PM

you could try sidepull (which is easier to drive than bosal, because you have side reins), or as you said in bosal. Many people start horse in sidepull or bosal and then move to bit (meaning she's old enough to try it). I did it this way too: started in halter, then sidepull, then bit. However my paint didn't like sidepull, and my qh is not very controllable outside with it (she's fine in ring though).

dinglehead 11-26-2007 06:40 PM

found out she was getting her wolf teeth. I guess that explains that.
today I rode her in just a halter and she did beeeeutifully!!!!
I'm going to get a bosal to use on her this is the hack I was looking at do you think it is any good???????http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...3CSRK3527845R7

sweetypie16 11-26-2007 08:18 PM

argh thats good! Hope she improves for ya :D