The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   What do people think to Richard Maxwell's meathods? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/what-do-people-think-richard-maxwells-43712/)

HollyLolly 12-28-2009 03:41 PM

What do people think to Richard Maxwell's meathods?

Hi Everybody
I got given a book by Richard Maxwell and Johanna Sharples, and I wondered if anyone else uses the techniques, and what they think to them.
Personally when reading it, they sound very straight to the point and easy, but I wonder if anyone's stuck to every step in the book, and got good results.
(If you were wondering the book is called "Unlock your horse's talent in 20 minutes a day")

Jubilee 12-29-2009 10:34 AM

I've read that book! I was actually just thinking about it yesterday. I loved it, but I never had a chance to actually practice any of the methods in it. I got it at the library. I should go back and get it again since I actually have horses to work with now. I remembered really liking some of the ideas he had in there. I also really liked the fact that none of the exercises required a round pen.

I can't speak for the effectiveness of the exercises, but from what I remember they sounded like solid methods.

Jubilee

HollyLolly 12-29-2009 01:45 PM

yes, that's what i liked about it too, i can't afford anything more than a make-shift round pen made of electric fencing, so it's useful to be given exercises that don't require one!

Jubilee 12-29-2009 02:04 PM

Right now I'm working with a huge Percheron/Arabian gelding and his owners don't own any sort of round pen or arena. I have work with him in the pasture. He is so big I often worry that he is going to figure out that he is stronger than me and just take off across the field and drag me behind him, lol. I really need to get my hands on that book again. Sadly, they don't have it at my local library. It was at my school library that I no longer attend.

HollyLolly 12-30-2009 11:07 AM

Wow, he sounds big! Let's hope he never figures that out hehe! And yeah, I just randomly got lent the book, and the girl never asked for it back hehe... maybe you could look on eBay or amazon or something :)

HorsesAreForever 12-30-2009 12:57 PM

I pretty sure he already knows that.

I have never heard of that book, im interested in it though I might look it up.

Jubilee 12-30-2009 04:09 PM

The book is good. He takes a very natural approach but does not ignore the benefits of time tested traditional training, which I really like. I think he used to train horses for mounted police or something like that, so you know that he knows how to train a solid horse.

HollyLolly 12-30-2009 04:38 PM

Yeah, i think it was the Kings Royal Troops mounted section. I also like it cos he's one of the few natural horsemen that ride english (when not riding bareback)
I ride english, and so can never 100% relate to techniques of Parelli or C. Anderson when in the saddle. I know that their techniques are supposed to be for everyone, but you can't always apply them because of the difference in saddle structure (well I can't anyway, someone else might be able to... maybe i'm just a bit of a dunce when trying to transfer something that i watched on telly to something i'm doing in the saddle! :D )

Jubilee 12-30-2009 08:53 PM

I'm the same way. I do ride western too, but English is my favorite. The two do not always directly correlate. I've been trying to find other English riding natural horsemen.

HollyLolly 12-31-2009 10:05 AM

To be really honest I've never tried western, because the only riding schools close to me teach English, and then when I got my first horse, she was so spooky I thought it was best to stick with what I know hehe :D
If you do find another natural horseman that rides english, please let me know, I'd be very interested :)