The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Tell me about Saddlebreds!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tell-me-about-saddlebreds-43717/)

SeeinSpotz 12-28-2009 04:24 PM

Tell me about Saddlebreds!!

I want to know more about these horses!!
They are such beautiful animals and I am thinking about getting one!!
:D :D

xAddictionx 12-28-2009 06:06 PM

What are you looking to do?

LadyDreamer 12-28-2009 06:28 PM

My favorite subject! If we ever meet in the chat room I will be more than happy to answer all your questions in real time, or just ask away here and I will be happy to respond.

What do you want to know? History? Temperament? Suitability? Where to get one? What I don't know about the breed, I know who to ask for the right answer. I have about 30 right now. They are the ultimate breed. They are my life, my loves, my only equine desire.

I would start by meeting some. There are quite a few barns in MN. If you go to www.asha.net, you can do a handly little Stable Search to find one near you.

I am actually heading out the door, but I will be back in about four hours. I will be glad to point you in the right direction and provide you with photos, videos, links, and other resources.

Brighteyes 12-28-2009 06:28 PM

I don't know much about them myself. I've only known two in my life, but those two happen to be the sweetest horses EVER. Here is the offical site; always a good place to start with any breed:

ASHA - American Saddlebred Horse Association

SeeinSpotz 12-28-2009 07:53 PM

Well i am looking at two. a gelding and a mare in foal.

I want to know pretty much everything, this is a breed that i really dont know.

LadyDreamer 12-29-2009 01:30 AM

Oh, very cool! What are their names? I would love to look them up. Who is the mare in foal to?

What do you want to do? That is one of the main deciding factors on which one you might choose.

The Saddlebred resource centre of the internet: Trot.org Forums - Powered by vBulletin

American Saddlebred Sport Horse
American Saddlebred Dressage - Harry Callahan
American-Saddlebred.Com
Saddlebred - Information, Art, Gifts, American Saddlebred Sculpture by Patricia Crane
Saddlebreds Unplugged - Home
Five-gaited Saddlebred horse
Just a good example of the breed: Saddlebreds really CAN do anything! - Trot.org Forums

This is a VERY informative page: History Of The American Saddlebred Horse

Same here, with pictures.
Far Field Farm - History of the American Saddlebred Horse
American Saddlebreds At Work and Play

American Saddlebred Horse Guide to Training Techniques, Care, and Conditi

Now that the links are out of the way.... American Saddlebreds are highly intelligent, very personable horses. They are expressive, athletic, and require a slightly different touch than say, a Quarter Horse. You really must take their personalities and abilities into consideration when deciding what they are suited for. Really, every horse is different, and it is hard to say what they will be like as a whole. Pleasure horses are MUCH different from Performance Horses for example. Attitudes, build, movement, etc. all on what the horse does... or actually what the horse does depends on those things. Just like any other breed, but we aren't talking about those. :)

Could you tell some about the prospective horses?

SeeinSpotz 12-29-2009 10:44 AM

ok,

Here is the Gelding, Spectacular Spirit.
Sire
Spectacular SpiritSpectacular ContestantLongviews Supreme-Spirits Gay MissSupreme Spirit-Dam
Coral CoveColumbiaBuck RogersStorm CountessSF Rhythms WindsongRhythms RagtimeSurfsong

And the mare is, Miss Fizz.Sire
Champagne FizzSupreme SultanValley View SupremeMelody O'LeeCommanders EleganceWing CommanderThe CaravanDam
My Marigolds PrideSuperior OddsWings Fleet AdmiralLovely InaMy MarigoldAmericus DenmarkMy Golden Flower

SeeinSpotz 12-29-2009 10:53 AM

But i also noticed that he has two foals on the ground. And he is 2 years old. one of them, I'm No Secret, is priced at 10,000 $$.

LadyDreamer 12-29-2009 07:04 PM

The two year old is not Specacular Spirit. The ad says the 2 year old is not registered but has the paperwork ready to register him(which I highly encourage). His sire is Spectacular Spirit and he is out of Coral Cove. The picture on his ad, I am fairly certain, is Spectacular Spirit, and they do not have a picture of him.

Spectacular Spirit, according to the ASHA records is a bay stallion, born in 2003, and has one registered foal, a bay 2009 filly, which is that $10,000 baby. Never been shown, and still with the person who bred him.

Miss Fizz is a nice old gal. She is a 1987 model, and has six foals to date. She has had six owners in her life, and has been with her current owner since 2003. She has never been shown, and only two of her foals have been shown. Likely she was never broke to ride.

If only out of those two, I would suggest getting the two year old, and get him registered(so that he is on the books and his life recorded). This would require you to join the Saddlebred Association, pay the registration fees, DNA him, choose a name... etc. I only say him over the mare, because you would just be getting the mare to retire. However, the gelding was injured as a baby, and might not be sound. His dam is sure pretty. They have her on there for $1000. She's a nice mare.

If I were to suggest a horse from that seller, I would go with the 21 year old trail horse, to get you started with saddlebreds. He is absolutely ADORABLE! And he still has some good years left in him. He has never been shown, but he looks like a real good horse.

Or, if you are looking for a Saddlebred to start, I would look at the Whitewater Creek horse. He is typey, refined, and very talented. He is a cute horse, very expressive, and young. Perfect age to start, and you could really get somewhere with him. I don't even like Pintos, but he is a nice one. He will be different from any other horse you have had, because, just by his pictures, he has a motor, and will like to show off. He is probably very snorty, showy and cocky. I like him.

What are you looking for in a horse?

SeeinSpotz 12-29-2009 07:24 PM

ha. thanks.
well I kinda want to start something fresh, and i was looking at some horses and well i thought well maybe a standardbred or a saddlebred. I almost had a chance to buy a saddlebred cross. she was a handful but we clicked. but at the time (february) i really didnt have the extra feed and space, and MONEY. now after time of thinking and preperation we do.