The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   vitamin c (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/vitamin-c-43777/)

dynamite. 12-29-2009 10:34 AM

vitamin c

As some of you may know, strangles is going around at my barn. I was reading in that book by Charmayne James that she gave her horses vitamin c, especially when they were sick. I was wondering how this is done? Is it just like a supplement that you put in their feed? Also, would this be a good idea for my mare who is developing it, considering she has to stay outside all the time in -25 C temperatures and crappy winter weather?(not my choice, the BM doesn't want her horse who comes in to get it so I can't even bring mine in during the day)

Thanks,
dynamite

mls 12-29-2009 10:39 AM

Your horse is getting strangles and yet your BO does not want her in?

I understand not wanting to spread the illness but all of the sick and exposed horses should be quarantined away from the rest of the herd.

dynamite. 12-29-2009 10:42 AM

I know, trust me I do not agree with them on anything when it comes to how they have decided to deal with this. I'm actually quite fed up with them and my horse will be leaving within a year.

mls 12-29-2009 10:48 AM

Where is the horse that brought the strep into the herd?

sillybunny11486 12-29-2009 11:02 AM

Unless she is sterilizing the area (shoes, buckets, clothes...) her horse will get it as well. I would have your vet talk to her about it. You horse could get worse because shes outside in the cold and already sick Vitman C is a feed through, it can cause ulcers if its fed straigts. You probably want an immunity booster supplement, with a few different vitamins to help the horse. Talk to the vet about it.

dynamite. 12-29-2009 07:00 PM

The horses that brought it are out with the herd (ugh), and the vet has been out and told them that they will be ok to live outside, so now they are convinced that staying out all the time is the best thing for them. How much worse can she get staying out in the cold?