The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   OK, I have a good laugh for all. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ok-i-have-good-laugh-all-438/)

JimR 01-22-2007 07:23 PM

OK, I have a good laugh for all.

Hi, I'm new to this website and trying to find out some information about horses and training them. Please don't laugh to loud, only kidding. Laugh as hard as you want about these questions. I do have to give you some background info on the neighbors. They are being investigated for wetlands violations. They claim that their horses are trained so well that they do not defecate while being ridden in a horse ring. They also claim that they had to train them so well because points are taken away during horse shows if they defecate. They also claim that their horses do not eat grass. They claim that they feed them so much inside the barn that they will not eat grass while out in the pasture. Mind you, there is barely a spot of grass in their pasture as the horses have eaten it all. Since stating these facts at a wetlands hearing against them, these folks have been spreading bales of hay all over their pasture to try and keep the horses from eating what is left of the grass there. I would appreciate any comments on these issues. Ok, you can stop laughing now.

I had a reply from a horse judge that went on to say that these folks should have their horses on Animal Planet and that they should go on the road to train other peoples horses for them since they have done the impossible with their horses.

I've also had a reply saying that it's no wonder they don't defecate, you have to feed them in order for them to do that.

barnrat 01-22-2007 07:32 PM

Our barn owner (Patty) has all these stories, One of which someone actually trained there horse to Pee or Poo on comand...No lie. I dont understand why someone would want to do that though...

Sounded to me like the horses did eat, just not enough... (in the story above.)

JimR 01-22-2007 07:57 PM

My thought on this subject goes like this. I can't train myself nor my two female dogs to not pee or poop. How can someone possibly train a horse not to poop or eat grass.

kristy 01-23-2007 07:31 PM

Training not to defecate in a ring or while working, very possible. Watch a video clip of the Lipizzaner stallions and you'll notice no defication. In Europe with high class showwing horses, it is not uncommon for this to be taught. It is like teaching a dog to be house trained, they wait to go in the appropriate area.
Everything else is rediculous, I think.

Edited to add: Whether or not these horses are trained not to deficate in a specific area is one thing, whether they've done it is another.

JimR 01-23-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristy
Training not to defecate in a ring or while working, very possible. Watch a video clip of the Lipizzaner stallions and you'll notice no defication. In Europe with high class showwing horses, it is not uncommon for this to be taught. It is like teaching a dog to be house trained, they wait to go in the appropriate area.
Everything else is rediculous, I think.

Edited to add: Whether or not these horses are trained not to deficate in a specific area is one thing, whether they've done it is another.

My wife and I have been to two Lipizzaner horse shows in the past. These horses do in fact defecate in the ring during the shows. There were arena people waiting outside the ring with pooper scoopers to pick it up in between events.

kristy 01-23-2007 08:07 PM

Which one?
I do not disagree that not all shows have horse trained this way, but I hope you're not implying that I'm completely wrong. It is possible.

JimR 01-23-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristy
Which one?
I do not disagree that not all shows have horse trained this way, but I hope you're not implying that I'm completely wrong. It is possible.

I am not saying that you are wrong. The shows we saw were at the DCU Center in Worcester Ma.. I believe the horses where from Europe if I recall correctly. I remember the announcer saying that the show was direct from Europe. They also mentioned that these horses were the most highly trained animals in the world.

crackrider 01-23-2007 09:35 PM

In endurance we encourage horses to pee when we whistle. We do it by whistleing when they do pee and eventually they get the idea to pee if they need to when they hear whistle but it hardly ever works!! :?
I have also heard of people training birds to poop on cue!! and i've ssen it done!!!

JimR 01-23-2007 10:42 PM

That is funny about the bird pooping. I bet my neighbor's come up with another tale on thursday when they have their next hearing. If it happens I will post it. They **** near had everyone laughing about the grass at the last eharing. That must be why their pasture is grassless. Their horses can't eat it because they already have.

mommadog1956 01-24-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimR
My thought on this subject goes like this. I can't train myself nor my two female dogs to not pee or poop. How can someone possibly train a horse not to poop or eat grass.

:D while i can't train you Jim, i can and have trained dogs to pee/poop on command. :wink:

hubby's male lab (now deceased) was trained (by me) from 7 wks old, when and where to pee/poop. this was done by, repetitiously,
taking him to the same spot everytime and told "Go pee/poop" then after doing so, "Good pee/poop!!!!"

i took him to the vet one time and they needed urine/feces samples, so i took the necessary items outside with him and told him his commands. they all (vet/techs) stood there kinda laughing at me. he immediately went to do his business and i "caught" his samples in the cups that they had given me. they couldn't believe it and said they had never seen anything like it. he never failed to do his business on command. hubby liked to brag about how well trained his dog was, and would show anyone that would watch, just what he could do. :oops:

now i agree that it SHOULDN'T be taught to a horse, but i don't know why it COULDN'T be. after all, they are repetitious animals and will learn anything, eventually, if done often enough.