The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Quick trail riders question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/quick-trail-riders-question-43821/)

Jubilee 12-29-2009 08:06 PM

Jigging and shying on the trail is a big problem I've experienced a lot, and refusing to go over obstacles (ditches, puddles, logs, etc.) are some of the problems I have had the most trouble with. One of the more serious problems I have had on the trail is my horse spooking and trying to run back to the barn, I fell and broke my arm on that one... mostly that was a problem with my horse's fundamental training, I should not have had him on trails yet. But that is a common problem: Barn sourness.

Those are just a few suggestions. Let me know how it goes. I would love to hear what you have to say on the mater.

Jubilee

Team Penner 12-29-2009 08:22 PM

Crossing water, hikers with walking sticks and mountain bikers. Hope this helps.

MyBoyPuck 12-29-2009 08:38 PM

How to prevent/manage/control a scared and ready to bolt horse. Teaching a hind end disengagement would be very high on my list. If a rider cannot execute a one rein stop, I personally don't think they have any business being in open spaces.

Water crossings, navigating obstacles such as fallen trees, opening an closing gates while mounted would also be on the list for me.

GottaRide 12-29-2009 09:05 PM

Riding out alone. Or if it's a person that always rides alone, they sometimes have problems when they encounter other horses on the trail.

Spastic_Dove 12-29-2009 09:25 PM

Hmm. Barn sour-ness and crossing water.

Thatgirlsacowboy 12-30-2009 02:29 AM

Jigging or prancing on the way home. Screaming at other horses is a pet peeve of mine. When we go out on the trail (I always go with a buddy) and Cricket sees another horse, she always screams. She does the whole "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE" scream where her entire body shakes. It's incredibly annoying. I'm still getting her used to the trails, however. I was told she was strictly a trail horse when I got her, but the lady lied about so much I'm really not sure how much trail experience she has. She's a good little trail horse though. I'm proud of her so far. Nothing much really bothers her but other horses.

PaintHorseMares 12-30-2009 06:33 AM

Things for the horse and rider to practice on the trail..

- When riding alone, recognize the difference between a horse that is afraid out alone (inexperienced) and one that just doesn't want to be alone (barn sour) and how to handle them.
- When riding in groups, being able to ride anywhere in the pack without nipping or kicking.

MuleWrangler 12-30-2009 09:14 AM

Animals or birds bolting or flying right out from under your noses. On my second ride on my new trail horse, just down the driveway and up the street a bit, this happened twice. Need I mention he's skittish about going out on his own? A rabbit bolted out as we crossed the wooded area of the driveway, and he did okay, then some ducks exploded off a pond close to us down the street. That launched us like a rocket for a few strides. The previous owner said a turkey flew up in their faces on a trail ride one time, so close she could feel the wind from its wings.

iridehorses 12-30-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuleWrangler (Post 504965)
a turkey flew up in their faces on a trail ride one time, so close she could feel the wind from its wings.

That happened to me last year on a mare that I was working. A buddy of mine that was watching said it looked like a cartoon - one moment I was on a horse and in the blink of an eye, I was suspended in midair and the horse was 3' off to my right.

RiosDad 12-30-2009 09:28 AM

In addition to what other say the thing that bother me most if riding with others is PACE.. If you have a group of say even 3 or 4 riders and the leader is constantly changing pace it makes it difficult for the horses following.. The leader speeds up going down a small hill, maybe even breaks into a lope in a short straight away and then pulls it down quickly because of a turn it leave the followers scrambling. Horses want to keep up so they speed up, a delayed event and then suddenly the lead horse is slowing down so the followers have a chain reaction and the last horse needs to slam on to prevent running the one in front over.

As leader it is her responsibilty to maintain a even pace, up hill, down hill, a nice even pace so the followers can spread themselves out and can keep pace themselves.