The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pellet feeds? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pellet-feeds-43858/)

ShannonSevenfold 12-30-2009 10:41 AM

Pellet feeds?

I'd like to put my guy onto some sort of grain or pelletted feed now that it has started to get pretty cold here. I'd just like to add a few more callories to his diet. My vet has also suggested adding a couple supplements to his diet as well, but it is difficult to do this as he is currently only on grass and free-choice hay. I am looking for a feed that won't make him hot-headed as this is already an issue as it stands, and something I could keep him on indefinately. If anyone has any thoughts that could help me, responses are appreciate! :D

eventerdrew 12-30-2009 11:17 AM

I REALLY love Purina Equine Senior. Seeing as your horse is the same age as mine (17, going on 18) I would definitely recommend it. It gives the horse great nutrition and doesn't make them hot at all. It's a really good maintenance feed and the new formula is even better. It now has the Amplify nugget in it which is another Purina supplement that I give to my performance horses. But, it doesn't make them hot either. It just gives them a nice, healthy coat and gives them just enough energy. This coming from a person with 2 hot TB's and a 3/4 TB who is high strung too.

My Beau 12-30-2009 11:20 AM

I feed my adult horses Carb-Guard from Blue Seal. Doesn't make them hot and is a very safe feed. It's low NSC, high fiber/fat (good for my hardkeeper).

ShannonSevenfold 12-30-2009 11:25 AM

eventerdrew - How much does it cost per bag? I know our elevater carries it as I had looked into it when I first got him. This is what his previous owners suggested feeding him, but I just didn't see it necessary to add grain until now. How would you suggested introducing it to his diet?

My Beau -You say the feed is high fiber and high fat... My boy gains weight breathing air. Do you think feeding him this would contribute to his belly?

My Beau 12-30-2009 12:43 PM

It's 8% fat. The feed Drew posted is is 5.5% fat.

It depends on the horse - I have a TB mare (the hardkeeper) on it and still have to feed her alfalfa pellets to keep her looking good. My QH gelding also eats it and he's an easy keeper - that's why I put him on it, their website says:
Quote:

Low Starch & Sugar -
The total starch & sugar level of
Carb-Guard

is less that 11% and contains NO molasses.

A low-starch and sugar diet helps to minimize the risk of
starch overload and subsequent digestive upsets such as
colic and founder. A low-starch and sugar diet may also be
recommended for hyperactive horses and horses with
certain health conditions such as Tying-Up, EPSM, Equine
Metabolic Syndrome, Cushings and Chronic Laminitis.

I'm worried about him becoming IR when he gets older because he's that kind of guy. So, I figure this feed will help control that a little. Beau has done fine on it, hasn't gained any weight from bumping up to the higher fat feed.

Do you blanket him in the cold? The higher fat would probably be okay for him during the winter if he's not blanketed. You kind of have to experiment with what works best for him - I went through 3 feeds in 3 months for my gang before I settled on Carb-Guard.

MN Tigerstripes 12-30-2009 02:09 PM

Is he on free choice hay already? Is he too skinny? Is he changing exercise regiments?

Just curious why grain would be needed in this circumstance. It isn't going to keep him warmer than hay (digestion of hay provides the greatest amount of warmth to a horse.) If he's a little on the skinny side, I would consider adding some alfalfa hay (or just better quality grass hay) to his diet before adding any grain. Or if he is on limited hay try increasing the amount of hay and that'll increase both the calories and keep him warmer.

mls 12-30-2009 02:11 PM

SafeChoice by Nutrena.

You can feed as much or as little as you need - without making the horse 'hot'.

sillybunny11486 12-30-2009 02:24 PM

I like safe choice, but for my mare I wont give her anything more then 12%.

Giving him beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, or some type of forage extended is just a forage substitute so his diet wont be changed too much. Some horses who havent had grain in a while might not eat pellets.

luvs2ride1979 12-30-2009 02:48 PM

I use Alfalfa pellets. They're high in calorie, have a good nutrient content, have quality protein and amino acids, and are readily available almost anywhere. Look for pellets with no molasses and no animal fat. You can add a little water or oil to make supplements stick/mix. I feed mine just 1/2 of a 3qt feed scoop a day to keep weight on and mix in their vitamins. My horses are also fed free choice hay.

Hay pellets also take longer to digest, which keeps the horse "warmer" internally than grains or grain-based products, which are digested quickly.

ShannonSevenfold 12-30-2009 04:27 PM

My Beau - I only blanket him when it's raining and freezing or very windy.

MN - He is on free-choice hay. He was a rescue and is not currently being ridden. However, he is broke and is soon to be back into work.

To all - The main purpose of feeding grain is to be able to feed him the supplements he needs. He is also not blanketed regularily and I'd like to just add a couple more calories to his diet.