The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

All-time fav. horse name?

5K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  starlinestables 
#1 ·
Whats your favorite male and female horse name?

#2 ·
my favorite name is rhydian, it means rusty so it could really be a boy or girl name ! i also like the name autumn

#5 ·
male- Deacon, i used to work at a Trakehner breeding farm and that was the name of the chestnut stallion, he was one of my all time fav horses and i loved his name.

female- Eeroywn, it was the name of my chestnut dressage DWB mare.

funny theyre both off chestnut horses which isnt even my fav color lol

#9 ·
lol, my geldings nick name is donkey, since its nicer than some of the other things I can call him when kids are around (no offense to donkey people of course, love the long ears, as well as cows!)

Other than that, I like the topic of names. I personally have always done well with horses named after small animals, like Mouse, Possum, Badger, Bug, etc. I have never gotten along with a horse named Star (not that they are bad, they and I just don't quite click). Just like I never had a good relationship with a guy whose name was Billy, or any version of that name. As a kid, I loved the name Charisma for a mare, I remember it was on that show "Hey Dude". I currently have a horse in my barn named Rebel that lived up to that with his owners, but is actually a big puppy dog. I also knew a bolter named Renegade, he had the name before the issue, go figure. They say that people that name their animals people names are more likely to treat the animals like people. Don't know about that one. Heck, I have cats named No No, Ya Ya, and Maybe. I think we just started running out of names. Now, I really don't care what the horse's name is, many of them just go by "dork" or "goober" or "mare".

#10 ·
I love Pistols name. I'm trying to think of horses over the years that I have known who have had great names...

There was a Lancelot and Dragon. I love the name Black. Since I've already had a horse named Black I geuss I'd have to go with a Cobalt instead...

#11 ·
I have always liked military-style names for male horses: Brigadier, Trooper, Scout, Soldier, General, etc. Funny how my male equids have not had any of these names! (Goose, Blackjack, Tom Terrific and Dusty. Dusty would have been Brigadier or Trooper if he hadn't already had his own name for 11 years...)

For females, not so sure. I had a paint pony mule I called Sassafras, or Sassy for short. I liked that a lot, especially since her coat was mostly the reddish-brown sassafras color.

#16 ·
lol about the mule name! My donkey's nickname is "Hotay," as in "Donkey Hotay"... (say it and listen to how it sounds)

He already had a name he knew, too, so I couldn't officially change it.

LOL, I love that name :)

#15 ·
My daughter rides a horse in her lessons named Trooper , I love him! She also rides a horse named Diamond
Some of my all time fave have been Liza, Freckles , Sunny, also Stormy and Frosty.
Our horses are named after the chac. on MASH Radar O'Reilly and Lt. Col. Henry Blake. My husband is a big fan of that show and since Radar was already named Radar(On the Radar) and Henry was (O'Henry) we just added to it.

#19 ·
I use to ride a palomino quarter horse mare named In The Nude. That got a lot of chuckles when it was announced over the loud speakers.

My QH mare has been unofficially renamed Malibu Barbie which I love. My TB's name is Rocket, which suits him well. My BO got a new mare named China which I think is a cute name.

Where I take lessons has some interesting names for the lesson horses like Bambie and T-Bone.

#21 ·
My favorite name can be for male or female it's WhatHasThisGotToDoWithNaturalHorsemanship.

#26 ·
I think perhaps the sarcasm was missed in my previous post. There is a better sub-forum for this than Natural Horsemanship.

#32 ·
Nuff said Its being moved to a more appropriate forum

I like Vida its Spanish for Life and she is my life.
I've also always been fond of Wild Fire
Some friends of mine bought 3 horse brothers a few years ago and named them Wyatt, Virgil and Morgan. We called them the Earp boys. I liked all those names as a group.

#28 ·
I don't know why but I like Ancient Egyptian and Arabic names (even though I have never owned or ridden an arab!) My favourites are:
Amisi (am-ee-zee) for a girl, it means Flower
Zaynah for a girl, means Beauty
Rasui (Raz-oo-ee) for a boy, means Dream
Khai (like the name Kai, so I suppose you could just as easily spell it like that lol) for a boy, which means crowned / crowned jewel

#30 ·
We once had a TWH gelding at the stable named Matisse, like the painter.
I like my mare's name Athena, and Zeus for a boy.
I like the name Neela, which I gave to a black Hano filly. It's eastern indian, and it means blue.
I like Leo.
I like Mojo for a male pony.
And I would totally name a male pony/mini Barbossa!

#31 ·
I like names that come from mythology, or stories.
Zeus' name happens to be a coincidence, but I think If I got another horse I'd have to choose a name from the same theme. I like Apollo for a gelding, and Athena for a mare.
:]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.