The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pasture Fungus/Summer Itch (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pasture-fungus-summer-itch-43960/)

lilkitty90 12-31-2009 04:56 PM

Pasture Fungus/Summer Itch

our Quarter Horse Carmen got this once in the summer and it went away. now we recently got a new Rescue who is Covered in it! he even has it around his Eyes. he also gave it back to Carmen. now they both have it. she doesn't have is as Bad as the New paint rescue (kitty). we have tried Fung-a-way,MTG oil, Baby oil, and pure Iodine and several other remedies. which are not working. Kitty is now starting to loose the fur around his eyes and a little on his back.a horse savvy person suggest that we get a spray bottle and do 1/4th Iodine 1/4th Bleach/clorox and 1/2 water. i was thinking maybe spraying the bleach on their and leaving it would bleach their fur? and it would hurt them??? what else do you guys suggest?
any help is greatly appreciated as we would like to get this cleared up before it spreads to the other 3 horses!!

lilkitty90 12-31-2009 05:05 PM

you know what lol my bad title should say rainrot not pasture fungus lol

EPMhorse 12-31-2009 08:01 PM

LilKitty,
there are several good articles on TheHorse.com for skin conditions. You need a free registration to read the articles.
The Horse | Rain Rot

Bleach is not very good for skin. It can change the pH and decrease healing. Iodine is a good anti-microbial. I have had good success with Equyss MicroTek shampoo, when used as directed - let it stay on the horse for 10 minutes or more before rinsing. My vet recommends it as well. Be sure to soak all grooming equipment, towels, and saddle pads in anti-microbial detergent. Equyss makes a blanket wash.

Skin infections can signal a compromised immune system. Take a hard look at their diet, and supplements to make sure they are getting adequate vitamins A, C, D, E, and selenium.

lilkitty90 12-31-2009 09:37 PM

see there is where my problem lies.. = / msot of the treatments envolve bathing. and it is winter. i don't have a big barn with a wash stall or anything. we don't blanket our horses. because we don't show or anything. they have 3 stalls that are always open and a huge over hang they can go in most of the time (right now we built it into a foaling box for the pregnant mare due any day now..) so i can't really wash them without them getting sick and causing more harm than helping.

so let me rephrase we need a treatment without bathing.

this is their diet. right now Kitty the Rescue paint is on a Weight gain Formula of mostly grain and oat type food made by Circle M he gets 2 quarts of that a day and he gets about 4-5 flakes of fescue hay. plus all the grass he can get his mouth on.

as for Carmen the QH she gets 2 Quarts of Barttolet 10% sweet feed i think it's also called pasture horse. and she also gets 4-5 flakes of fescue hay a day. plus grass

now mind you we don't ride much in the winter so this is basically a maintence diet. it did just snow here about a week or so ago and the snow is still going away. it's been rainy and muggy here to so that probably is also a pretty nasty factor. they CAN go in their stalls to get out of the rain snow and nasty weather. but they wont. but the option is there for them.

sorry if i didn't put enough details in my original post = ) i'll post pics of them as well i need to get pics of around Kitties eye so you can really see what i am talking about.

lilkitty90 01-03-2010 12:01 AM

bump anyone else?