The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Toes Out (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/toes-out-44039/)

Brighteyes 01-01-2010 01:29 PM

Toes Out

Some say that putting your toes out is correct, while other are passionately against it... What's really right? :?

gypsygirl 01-01-2010 01:31 PM

what ive always been taught is your toes should be forward for dressage & turned out 45degrees for jumping.

TwisterRush 01-01-2010 02:21 PM

im going to watch this topic, because i dont really know.
I have my feet turned out alot, kind of like duck feet haha, im trying to train them to go FORWARD. It is just a habit my feet naturally go into when my heel's go down.
Let me see if i can find photos, haha they look pretty wonky.
(my heels go down really low though, so that might trigger them going outwards..)

(:

SmoothTrails 01-01-2010 02:35 PM

Hmmm...my toes are generally straight forward unless I am giving a cue if I am in the arena. On trails they are a little more out, but nowhere close to 45 degrees. Nobody ever told me one or the other...so I will be watching this to see the real answer.

fourtwentyam 01-02-2010 06:07 PM

Toes in! It positions your legs correctly against the horse. At least for English riding.

ridergirl23 01-02-2010 06:11 PM

toes forward for dressage. im not sure about jumping, but toes forward all the time for dressage, then you can use your calf for aids (so they are invisible) and if that doesnt work then you can use your heel.

MIEventer 01-02-2010 06:58 PM

The question isn't where your toes should be pointed - the question is, what is the correct place your calves should be in contact on your horse?

Not the inside of your calf, not the back of your calf, but just right inbetween.

You want your leg to be effective, effectively positioned while in your tack where you can aid your horse to be as effective as they can be.

If you are out, so is your horse. If your body parts aren't doing their job, then your horse cannot do his job either.

TwisterRush 01-03-2010 05:47 PM

^ good point MIE

KristinJ 01-03-2010 10:32 PM

I've heard keep your toes where they are comfortable but do NOT exceed a 45 degree angle.

Becca93 01-04-2010 06:57 PM

From ballet, I have a fairly good turnout with my hips so generally my toes sit a touch less than 45degrees and my horse responds to my cues. However I'm not necessarily doing it correctly.