The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What colour tack??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-colour-tack-44079/)

xXSierrasMyBabyXx 01-01-2010 09:02 PM

What colour tack???

Ok, so I have a chestnut Appendix QH mare...
I plan on showing her this coming summer in H/J and dresaage.
I have a havana brown saddle right now, but it's not in very good shape, and no matter how much I clean it, it still stains my jods brown.
I really like the way black tack looks on chestnuts, but I understand that H/Js use brown tack, and dressage riders use black.

So my question is what colour tack should I get??
I like, and do both classes equally, so I can just get the colour that will suit the class I do most often.
Also, what colour do S/Js use? does it even matter?
Thanks in advance guys.
I'm looking into buying my next saddle soon, so I'm going to need to know relatively soon.

Side note- I'm just going to small shows, so I'll be using an all purpose saddle, any suggestions for a decent quality of saddle, with recomended colour, at an affordable price range? (My limit is only about 200$ right now, so please no higher than 300$)

upsidedown 01-01-2010 09:28 PM

Showjumping you can use either black or brown, in the US brown is more common, in Europe black is more common.
In hunters you should use brown and in low level dressage they won't discount you for it. So I would go with brown :D

rosie9r 01-01-2010 09:29 PM

I take my own chestnut Appendix to local shows in a Wintec 500 or an old Crosby both brown, with a white fleece pad.

You can try looking for a used good quality saddle for less than $300, try ebay or local tack stores. I bought my Wintec barely used for $275 and my Crosby used (its about 20 years old) for $250. Just please look for good quality and dont get suckered in by cheap package deals or Indian leather, it will only cost you double in the end.

xXSierrasMyBabyXx 01-01-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie9r (Post 507840)
I take my own chestnut Appendix to local shows in a Wintec 500 or an old Crosby both brown, with a white fleece pad.

You can try looking for a used good quality saddle for less than $300, try ebay or local tack stores. I bought my Wintec barely used for $275 and my Crosby used (its about 20 years old) for $250. Just please look for good quality and dont get suckered in by cheap package deals or Indian leather, it will only cost you double in the end.

But If I want to, will it be okay to use black tack?
Because I really like the way black tack looks on my mare. And brown in her is so blah. But I guess the point is to not distract from the horse, so the tack should be blah on them. I always just thought that was more of an Equitation thing.

Tripp 01-02-2010 12:48 PM

If your going to be showing hunters I would stay far far away from black tack. Go for a dark brown saddle and matching bridle..

ridergirl23 01-02-2010 01:04 PM

you could use black if you want. heck, you could use pink! if you think black looks stunning on your chesnut then go with black. if its small hunter shows then i dont think you would get shunned to much. :)

xXSierrasMyBabyXx 01-02-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers!
I've decided to go ahead and get the black saddle and matching bridle.
However, I am sending my havana brown saddle to a tack repair shop, and buying a brown bridle to match it :]]