The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Nelson's Lame (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/nelsons-lame-44084/)

MIEventer 01-01-2010 09:40 PM

Nelson's Lame

BAH! Depressing! :cry:

I got a phone call at work today, from the barn - and of course, when you get those phone calls, they can't be good. The news was, Nelson's lame. My heart sunk - oh my gosh.

The barn help noticed when they were turning all the horses out. They open the stall doors and the horses make a B-line from their stalls to the pasture - well, today, when they opened Nelson's door, he just stood there and didn't budge.

That's when they looked him over and voila - there was the cause. His hind right leg was extremely swollen.

So, I contacted my Vet and had her go out there *yes, while I was at work* and she took care of him for me. She believes he has a sprain. No sign of breakage or anything severe. No cuts, nothing of that sort.

So he is on stall rest until he shows significant improvement. He is on bute, banamine and getting poulticed every 12 hours *The poultice stays on for 12 hours*

Starting Monday, he will be getting Nitrofurazone wraps, twice a day for 1 hour each - and we'll go from there.

*sigh*

SeeinSpotz 01-01-2010 10:05 PM

ohh.. sad.. yeah my mare Roxxi, turned up lame today too.. it SUCKS!!!!!!

gypsygirl 01-01-2010 10:06 PM

oh no i hope he gets better soon !!

eventerdrew 01-02-2010 10:37 AM

aww poor Nelson! I have had the worst luck this past year with lameness... seems like a bunch of people have.

At least it doesn't seem too serious. Hopefully he will be back to work in no time!

what a nice barn you have to have them notice that your horse is hurt! Hard to find in my area. "Wait, when did Uma get this abcess?" "oh, I didn't even notice" GRR.

gypsygirl 01-02-2010 10:40 AM

^^i dont think my BO even knows what an abcess is ! the guy who does chores can tell if a horse is pretty off though, better than nothing i guess

how long does your vet think he has to be on stall rest for ? or is that just up in the air ?

eventerdrew 01-02-2010 10:49 AM

ugh gypsygirl it's so frustrating isn't it? Having my horses at home is so much better :)

Anyway back on topic. lol. yeah how low is he out for?

MIEventer 01-02-2010 11:11 AM

That sucks Drew! I've been very lucky with my new barn and their knowledge, kindess and generosity. I don't know what I would do if I were at a place where they paid no attention, or didn't know *As far as I am concerned, they shouldn't be running a facility*

I'm very thankful to have a barn where they not only take good care of Boo, but do it without extra cost.

My Vet didn't say how long he has to be on rest, but the "Instructions" that were left with me state "Until Significant Improvement"

Yesterday he was on 2 grams of bute, twice a day - and today he is on 1 gram twice a day.

The barn is Poulticing him for me. They wrapped him yesterday and are doing so again today for me. I offered to pay and the barn said no. I offered to buy my own Poultice, and the barn said not to worry about it.

I think I'll have to do something to for their generosity and kindness.

AlmagroN 01-02-2010 11:15 AM

watch the poultice. i dont know how long they are doing it for, but some horses become skin sore from it. i have had it happen. just so you/they know to look out for that.

MIEventer 01-02-2010 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the barn is a 45 minute drive away for me so I cannot be out there on a regular basis throughout 1 day. It's once for me, twice is pushing it. So I have to rely on the barn.

Gillian 01-02-2010 11:28 AM

Ah, that really sucks MIE. Zeus is sore right now because of a bad trim. The farrier cut his toes too short and while they look fine while on the ground, when you pick his hoof up you can see it's a bit red near the front, and was just too close to the quick. He's still rideable, and we can continue with our lessons and normal riding but I hate knowing his ouchy. And oh the joys of calling a know it all farrier who hates being told what to do. If he listens to me and leaves his toes longer next time we'll kep him, but if not time to look for another one, bleh.

It may not be as serious, but I feel you pain.
Hope he recovers quickly!