The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Snuggles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/snuggles-4410/)

warmbloodCRUSOE 11-19-2007 06:24 AM

Snuggles

Is it possible to train a horse to lay down and be relaxed enough so u can snuggle it without any danger to myself?

TxHorseMom 11-19-2007 10:30 AM

That is a difficult question. I guess my answer would have to be no. The reason for this is because a horse is a prey animal. No matter how trained and relaxed with you it may be, something could still startle it or scare it, and the horse may injure you totally by accident and without intending to do so.

Do I think you could train a horse to be so relaxed with you that you could snuggle with it, yes I do. With out injury? (or the potential of injury) Then no.

I personally have had horses so relaxed with me that I could sit on them while they were lying down in the pasture. Or, I could sit behind them (with their legs facing away from me, the real danger) and pet them or love on them. I have a picture of my adult daughter sitting on her mare while the mare is lying down and the mare also has a cat sitting on her back too. (my daughter is petting the cat.) But, both were ready to jump off the mare should she startle.

warmbloodCRUSOE 11-25-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxHorseMom
That is a difficult question. I guess my answer would have to be no. The reason for this is because a horse is a prey animal. No matter how trained and relaxed with you it may be, something could still startle it or scare it, and the horse may injure you totally by accident and without intending to do so.

Do I think you could train a horse to be so relaxed with you that you could snuggle with it, yes I do. With out injury? (or the potential of injury) Then no.

I personally have had horses so relaxed with me that I could sit on them while they were lying down in the pasture. Or, I could sit behind them (with their legs facing away from me, the real danger) and pet them or love on them. I have a picture of my adult daughter sitting on her mare while the mare is lying down and the mare also has a cat sitting on her back too. (my daughter is petting the cat.) But, both were ready to jump off the mare should she startle.

Thanks TX. Very helpful. I wish they did not startle, that would be cool, i love to cuddle my horsies :-)

Kiki 11-25-2007 05:48 PM

yeah i've tried training Dana to lay down and like murphy's law everything is harder than previously thought and takes longer than expected!!