The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Do horses go into menopause? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/do-horses-go-into-menopause-4411/)

ponygirllizzie@xanadu 11-19-2007 11:48 AM

Do horses go into menopause?

I hope you don't think i'm stupid but I've never heard it mentioned. If mares don't go into menopause, why not? Thanks for answering!

Vidaloco 11-20-2007 05:50 AM

Thats a really good question. Looks like some research is in order.

ponypile 11-23-2007 02:08 AM

Yes, some mares will stop going into heat completely (TRUELY not go into heat, no more cicles). But this is rare. Most mares when they age will continue their heats, but may not get them every month, maybe 3 a season, and many stop showing a desire to mate even though they're still going into season. Most mares will die before they stop though.

Vidaloco 11-23-2007 07:27 AM

Thats what I found out ponypile. Pretty amazing. I figured the opposite would be true.

TralissaAndalusians 11-23-2007 07:15 PM

That's odd, I have been wondering that :lol:

Since I have had my stallion, my 11 year old mare has stopped coming into season. It's just completly weird.

I still keep a check on her though. I think I'm gonna ask the vet about it when Fenda get's pregnancy tests done.

ponygirllizzie@xanadu 12-03-2007 09:52 AM

That's really weird! Thanks for answering! 8)

WildFeathers 12-28-2007 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TralissaAndalusians
That's odd, I have been wondering that :lol:

Since I have had my stallion, my 11 year old mare has stopped coming into season. It's just completly weird.

I still keep a check on her though. I think I'm gonna ask the vet about it when Fenda get's pregnancy tests done.

There's a name for that... it's on the tip of my tongue!...
Oh well, anyway, when a mare lives full time in the vicinity on a stallion her heats often become hardly(or not at all)visible. There's nothing wrong with her though, she can still get pregnant and all that just fine.