The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Giving baby first bath (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/giving-baby-first-bath-44116/)

stacieandtheboys 01-02-2010 12:19 PM

Giving baby first bath

So this spring when it warms up I need to start bathing the baby. She will turn 1 in March. Problem she is terrified of the water and the water hose. How do I get her used to the hose and the water coming out of the hose?

I am thinking tie her to the tie ring and hold the water hose near. When she backs up bring her back scratch her do it again each time moving the water closer to her body starting with her back not her legs and just keep repeating that over and over.

Anything else I am missing? She will love a bath I know once she isn't afraid of the water. She loves to be brushed and scratched.

Wallaby 01-02-2010 12:47 PM

What I would do is have another person hold her (instead of tying her, I'd be worried that she could end up with a tying phobia if she's really super terrified of water) and then do basically what you described. Praise her when she's acting comfortable about the water near her and ignore her attempts to get away. Just make sure the person holding her is horse-smart and that they have a hold of her lead line near her face, you don't want to end up "lunging" her with water. haha

Maybe you could spend some time this winter getting her used to the hose? That would probably help her significantly when you actually do bath her. So she only has to contend with one scary "danger". Just have the hose everywhere and act like it's no big deal. Have her step over it, be rubbed with it, watch her buddies be touched with it, basically make the hose an everyday sort of thing. =)

Good luck! =)

stacieandtheboys 01-02-2010 12:59 PM

That is the thing with the tie ring. She can get away. It is the one clinton anderson uses if you have ever seen it. It is how he desensitizes his horses with other stuff so I figured why not with the water and hose. i don't have any horse savvy help so I'm on my own ;)