The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Will he grow? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/will-he-grow-44117/)

Hunter65 01-02-2010 12:47 PM

Will he grow?

1 Attachment(s)
OK I adopted Hunter in July 09. He was almost 2 years old and wasn't being fed properly for his age. He was very ribby and had no muscles. I don't know much about his first 18 months as he was originally purchased at an auction. I do know from last Dec until July he was in a paddock with a bunch of other horses and had to fight for his food. He has gained weight and grown since I got him. He has also been gelded and had hernia surgery so has been through a lot in the last 6 months.

He was at his first day at the trainers yesterday and we sticked him at 13.1.
We know he is a qh/cross but not sure with what. Was told pintaloosa, we think maybe arab or welsh mountain pony. Anyways, we did the string test and also measured from middle of the knee to the coronet and he came out at 14.3. Is it possible for him to grow that much. My trainer thinks so but I am not sure. Just interested in some other opinions.

Thanks

~*~anebel~*~ 01-02-2010 02:16 PM

Personally, I would not want him to grow that much! 6 inches in a year is a lot. He should just grow at a normal rate for his age if his nutrition is kept up.
In my experience at least, the horse will grow at a normal growth rate when it has adequate food and when it doesn't it will grow at a below normal rate. It is very very difficult to make a horse grow faster than normal.
This is why wild horses are small!

Good luck!!

1dog3cats17rodents 01-02-2010 02:23 PM

He might, but not all in one year. Good nutrition should let him keep growing for awhile, maybe even 6 inches. My 7 year old ex-rescue grew at least an inch after we got him, asnd yours is only 2

Plains Drifter 01-02-2010 02:26 PM

I don't know if it helps...but I did the string test on my filly Lillie. It said she should be about the same...14.2-14.3. She's 20 months old and I think I measured her at 13.2.

So it sounds to me that even though he fought for his food and such, that he seems to still be on track with other horses his age. Btw..I adore his coloring.

Not the greatest picture for comparison..but the most recent one I have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rose/029-4.jpg

Hunter65 01-02-2010 02:58 PM

Oh goodness I don't expect him to grow that much in one year. We were thinking by the time he was 5. I really didn't intend to back him until he was 4 anyways.

Hunter65 01-02-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plains Drifter (Post 508512)
I don't know if it helps...but I did the string test on my filly Lillie. It said she should be about the same...14.2-14.3. She's 20 months old and I think I measured her at 13.2.

So it sounds to me that even though he fought for his food and such, that he seems to still be on track with other horses his age. Btw..I adore his coloring.

Not the greatest picture for comparison..but the most recent one I have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rose/029-4.jpg

He is 7 - 8 months older than your cutie pie lillie and an inch shorter - that was why I was kinda worried. I'd like to see how tall she is at 27 months.

She is adorable

Hunter65 01-02-2010 03:03 PM

The original pict I posted was the day I took him over. I am going out to his trainers tomorrow so will try and get some good recent shots as he has grown a bit and filled in since then.

Plains Drifter 01-02-2010 03:20 PM

I can't wait to see the recent photos!!

Hunter65 01-02-2010 03:43 PM

Here is a video of him 2 moths ago at his new home and after 6 weeks stall rest. (not sure if link will work)

| Facebook

kassierae 01-02-2010 04:57 PM

Considering the fact that he is only 2 he should grow quite a bit more. I got my gelding as a wormy, underfed yearling and he was about 12 hands. He is now coming 4 and has reached 15.1 ish. Don't give up hope, horse can grow up until age 7.