The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Finally have something to look at!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/finally-have-something-look-44128/)

Amba1027 01-02-2010 05:01 PM

Finally have something to look at!!

10 Attachment(s)
Let me just start by saying that these are from my lesson last night. That was my first real lesson in a long time. The last time I rode before this was in October, I think, and that was an evaluation lesson. So it was more to see what I could do than anything. Before that, I rode about 4 times back in August/September and was completely on my own. That's all the riding I've done for the past 5 years. I'm pretty out of shape and my body isn't always wanting to do what I tell it to. And I get tired pretty easily. That being said, I want to do everything I can to improve so I would like the best critique you can give. Be honest, be brutal, you won't hurt my feelings. I would really love to know what you all have to say. Thanks!

P.S. Please let me know if you think photos or video are better for critique. The only reason I was able to get these is because my dad had off work so he was able to come with me. In the future my mom will probably be the only one avalible to come with me so I'm debating if I should teach her to take pictures or video. She's got something against learning to use a digital camera so this might be all I get for awhile. But if I manage to convince her I'd like to know which I should try for: video or stills. Thanks again :)

Edit: I have a video too but it's not working at the moment so I'll have to add that later.

tempest 01-02-2010 05:18 PM

Shoulders back and bring your legs back a little farther.

BoarderCowgirl12 01-02-2010 05:41 PM

Your toes are pointing out...keep them in; close to the horse

Amba1027 01-02-2010 05:46 PM

Yeah I seem to have a problem with my toes pointing out. I think they are like that in every picture I have of me riding, but no one ever mentions it. I'll have to try to remember that for next time.

I can't figure out how to post a video on here. Can anyone help me with that?

Skyhuntress 01-02-2010 05:46 PM

video is always better, because a photo is just a moment in time. ANY rider can look horrible in a photo, (likewise you can have a brilliant photo that just depicts a brief moment of the ride) but a video gives you a clear idea of what the rider/horse is doing consistently well and consistently bad.

Just going by the pics, the biggest thing that I see if that you are hunching and collapsing at the waist. Sit up tall and engage your core muscles - i think this is because, as you said, you've been off for a while , so it'll probably take a bit for you to be able to reengage these muscles :)

also, make sure you carry your own hands. you can keep them low, but they shouldn't be on his withers. you should be supporting them yourself as opposed to having them so low that they are ineffective.

Other than that, I think you look pretty darn good considering that this was your first lesson in a while!

Amba1027 01-02-2010 06:15 PM

Ok let's see if posting the video works...

YouTube - Me and Mac

Apparently posting the link is the best I could do... I think more people would watch if the video were in the post but it's not leting me do that so this is all I got.

fourtwentyam 01-02-2010 06:47 PM

Toes in, open your shoulders and arch your back (especially at the canter), lift your hands off his withers, and heel down a bit more.

Otherwise, you look great! You look balanced, although a bit tense; you're looking forward nicely. You look better at the walk and trot, are you new to cantering? That's when you really stiffen up: try to relax your hips and open your shoulders, you'll flow better. But pretty nice overall! [=

horseluver2435 01-02-2010 09:45 PM

All I noticed that hasn't been mentioned is your hands- they're sitting a little low (as far as I noticed) and when you post, you move your hands with you. Whenever you post up, you move your hands up. You sit for a beat, so do your hands. Keep them stationary, other than when two pointing/releasing.

Amba1027 01-03-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourtwentyam (Post 508785)
You look better at the walk and trot, are you new to cantering? That's when you really stiffen up: try to relax your hips and open your shoulders, you'll flow better. But pretty nice overall! [=

No, I've been cantering since I was 10. I haven't ridden very much for a long time so I guess that could be counted as "new" in a way. I think it takes me a while to get comfortable with going fast. Like when I first started driving I felt like going the speed limit was really fast but now it feels really slow. So I guess I just get tense because I'm not used to the speed.

PechosGoldenChance 01-03-2010 01:47 AM

Well, all I have to say is, your horse is beautiful!