The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   I think I just avoided my first "horse scam" (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/i-think-i-just-avoided-my-44155/)

Jamies Dad 01-02-2010 07:25 PM

I think I just avoided my first "horse scam"

I was searching online for horses for sale in alaska and came up with an add for a Freisan for 3 thousand dollars, which seemed about normal since I've seen several around the anchorage area for between 4 and 8 thousand and this one happened to be located in a village on Kodiak Island where my brother owns a flight service.

I responed to the add all excited to be flying over and visit my brother and his family and meet a new horse at the same time and got a response in somewhat broken english, about how this guy was dying of a brain tumor and needed to find a good home for his horse and so on, and while he did have some decent pictures of a great looking horse for me to look at, he never indicated weather or not I could meet the horse were I to fly to Kodiak. He also ignored my request for references.

Then when I emailed him back asking more specifically when would be a good time for him to have me come over, he wrote back that he'd spelled the name wrong on the add, and that he was in a differnt village, located by Bethel, Alaska. I dont know how many of you have ever been to Bethel, but there arent many picket fences, and circular driveways lined with oak trees there! Anyway, he also wanted me to hurry up and send him 800 bucks via western union to get the shipping took care of from his place to anchorage and work out the details on the 3 thousand bucks afterwards (another fishey signe right?). I hope I'm not wrong and there really is some poor Freisan out there in Bethel who really needs a good home, but cant bring myself to step out this far in good faith with so many signs of "fishyness?

Am I missing something, or would this all make you suspicious too?

Thanks, Chris

Canopach01 01-02-2010 07:29 PM

Good job avoiding that disaster Chris!

rottenweiler 01-02-2010 08:13 PM

yeah stay away from that mess, there is no horse they just want your money. I've heard of it happening with dogs, cats, even experienced it myself with reptiles...same M.O...'hurry and send us money so we can get it to you!' it's all a scam

thunderhooves 01-02-2010 08:18 PM

That's a definite scam. never send them money unless you already look at the horse and such.

Allison Finch 01-02-2010 08:30 PM

Your instincts are right on track, there. Good catch!

eventerwannabe 01-02-2010 10:07 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, but it was the horse I was selling, Junior. Someone sent me this sob story and had horrible grammar. They didnt even want to come see him first and get this... They wanted to send him to Canada. xD I never replied to that email...

Good job for avoiding that scam! =]

JumpingTheMoon 01-02-2010 10:50 PM

Oh yuh definitely good job avoiding that! So sick of scams.

Honeysuga 01-02-2010 10:57 PM

Hehe, someone from Africa tried to buy our Border Collie mix Pete for $500, sent us a check and everything to ship him over.... It is still sitting n top of my fridge lol

Good call on the scam.

Alicia 01-03-2010 12:09 PM

In Alberta, there's a Friesan for something like $2500 when I e-mailed them it was the same sort of thing you were told - so and so was sick that's why they had to sell the horse. I asked questions about the horse, they just sent me the exact same thing and they didn't answer one of my questions. When I e-mailed them about shipping info I got the run around, I pretty much knew this was a scam right from the '7 yr old Friesan $2500', I just wanted to see what they're deal was. When you find a horse that normally sells for something like $10 000, you know that the $2500 is too good to be true

Good on you for sniffing out the bad.