The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   whitening palomino mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/whitening-palomino-mane-4424/)

hayleexl3 11-20-2007 04:51 PM

whitening palomino mane

my palomino has a white mane but not a full white tail. its white at the top but gets into a yellowish-orange at the bottom. ive heard of bleaching it but i dont know if it will mess her tail up. does it? if it does is there any other way to get it white? I want it white because we are going to start her in halter classes in spring. any sugestions?

Frog 11-20-2007 07:59 PM

I used to use a laundry product called Blu-O on my grey's tail, there is also a hair product called magic silver white that does a good job.

Kiki 11-20-2007 10:41 PM

Yeah blu-o is good like when you bath them but if you get to the shpw and you want to give them a quick touch up white chalk is awesome!!

sweetypie16 11-20-2007 10:52 PM

do u rug her?? :?

Duskylove 11-21-2007 08:05 PM

Equi-tone whitening shampoo. Thats my favorite, it works the best and only takes a couple times to really see a huge difference (just make sure you read the directions because if you leave it on for more than 5 minutes it will turn the tail blue lol seriously). Also the day before a show wash the tail with equi-tone and then after you wash it out take some baking soda and run it through her tail and then after a few minutes wash it out.
Trust me your horse will have the whitest mane and tail in the show ring (just try not to blind the judges lol thats never good for your placings lol jk).

Frog 11-24-2007 05:52 PM

ooooohh I didn't know the trick with the baking soda! I wish I had a grey to try it on!

Phantomcolt18 11-24-2007 10:42 PM

I have a horse who is all white and his tail gets like that i use this stuff called wow and brush that through then i use show sheen his tail comes out looking like it was bleached but it wasn't

hayleexl3 11-25-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duskylove
Equi-tone whitening shampoo. Thats my favorite, it works the best and only takes a couple times to really see a huge difference (just make sure you read the directions because if you leave it on for more than 5 minutes it will turn the tail blue lol seriously). Also the day before a show wash the tail with equi-tone and then after you wash it out take some baking soda and run it through her tail and then after a few minutes wash it out.
Trust me your horse will have the whitest mane and tail in the show ring (just try not to blind the judges lol thats never good for your placings lol jk).

haha. thanks alot. im gonna try this :)

hunterequlover781 12-30-2007 07:39 PM

I'm going to try this baking soda trick. I'm so excited.

buckaroo2010 12-30-2007 11:11 PM

Tell you the truth I have always use bleach...I have never had a problem with it :)