The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   help on cantering? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-cantering-4426/)

clo 11-21-2007 01:34 PM

help on cantering?

Hi to start with i wud just like to say thanx to every one hu has given me advice in other questions i hav asked 4 help for. Next question how can i help my horse to balance and go steady in canter whilst going around the arena? Iv tryed lunging but she still rushes and isnt all that gr8 at it. Mayb its something im doing wrong? n e advise wud make me very greatful. thank you

Stepher 11-21-2007 03:27 PM

If your horse is just learning to canter with a rider, the best thing for you to do is just go with her; let her rush a bit (not taking off, but dont ask her to collect) so she can learn to balance. Make sure that you are sitting up straight and not leaning. Give her her head until she can balance herself; then you can start working on slowing the canter.
PS I would suggest not cantering while there are other horses in the arena for the first while.

Kiki 11-21-2007 05:47 PM

Lol I got the opposite problem. Dana has great balance but I dont!!! I bounce so high in the saddle I can wave to the members of the international space station on the way up!!!

luvmystandardbred27 11-21-2007 05:58 PM

I have been using an easy horse to canter on before I use my horse because once you get it down on another horse it is much easier to control your horse that way. :lol:

luvmystandardbred27 11-21-2007 05:58 PM

I have been using an easy horse to canter on before I use my horse because once you get it down on another horse it is much easier to control your horse that way. :lol:

huntergrl 11-27-2007 09:24 AM

I had the same problem with my first horse and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out until one day my trainer saw that she was always trotting on the fore hand and that threw her into that "rushed" canter and she couldn't collect and slow down. Going in a small circle should force her to start that canter the correct way so that you can set the speed and not feel outta control. If it doesn't try a much tighter circle and if she starts off throwing out into a fast canter again just slow back down and cue her again, and again and again until she gets it right. It should eventually make sense to her. I sure hope this helps you.

huntergrl 11-27-2007 09:26 AM

Does your horse have a hard mouth or he/she pretty responsive to the bit you are using?

blossom856 11-27-2007 10:28 PM

i had problems with my horse being unbalanced at the canter to. so my instructor told me to use a leading rein on the outside and pull my inside hand towards the opposite hip and voila, we were both perfectly balanced.