The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   The Road (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/road-44296/)

Vidaloco 01-04-2010 04:34 PM

The Road

My husband had a couple of free passes to the movie theater. Checking out online trailers of what was showing we chose The Road with Viggo Mortensen.
I think if we had read the book it would have improved the experience...a little.
It was a dark, tedious tale of a father and son trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world. The list of superb cast was one of the drawing factors of our choice. Unfortunately the few lines spoken by anyone other than Mortensen and his son were few and way to far between.
There was mention made of all livestock/pets being destroyed in what disaster was never said. Then in one scene the boy hears a dog barking. The son was suppose to be born after the disaster so in my mind had never heard a dog bark so how did he know thats what it was? Then in the end a couple is found with a dog! If everyone was resorting to cannibalism how did this dog make it?
I was amazed that the movie got such glowing reviews by the experts. To me it was a waste of 2 hours. If you're looking to be entertained don't bother with this one.

Jake and Dai 01-04-2010 04:47 PM

I read the book and thought it very dark, scary but intriguing all the same. But based on your review, I'm not sure I want to pay the $22+ for hubby and I to go see the film.

This is the same author who wrote No Country for Old Men. That book I hadn't read but I loved the movie. Also very dark, scary and intriguing. And come to think of it, not a huge amount of dialogue in that one either!

But thanks Vida for saving me some $$$$$. :D

My2Geldings 01-04-2010 05:02 PM

Good to know. We should start a thread actually where we can put movie reviews! Glad you mentioned it Maureen, I was going to watch it. Appreciate the thread.