The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cold Weather Horse Care (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cold-weather-horse-care-44379/)

luvmyperch 01-05-2010 02:22 PM

Cold Weather Horse Care

I just read a great article about horse care in cold weather from The Horse Health Newsletter. There is some great information and tips relating to water, hay and blanketing that I thought I'd share!

The Horse | Cold Weather Horse Care Review

MacabreMikolaj 01-05-2010 02:34 PM

Excellent article. It makes me happy to see the natural way being promoted more - way to many people think they're being helpful by keeping a horse in a stall when in reality, horses suffer such poor circulation in their legs they have to be able to move around to keep warm. Bitterly cold temps really don't feel any different whether you're inside a barn or outside a barn - it's the wind that's the killer. I'd rather see the horse with adequete provisions and being permitted outside to move around, keep warm and decide for himself where he wants to be.

I've always found it ironic that boarding barns charge twice as much for a stall. You couldn't pay me to stall my horse! I intend on having a small barn with a few stalls when I purchase my property and it will be strictly for treating ill horses, tacking up, foaling out, etc.

btru2yrslf 01-05-2010 06:10 PM

this was an excellent link...thank you for posting. there are additional links at the bottom that are equally informative.

5cuetrain 01-05-2010 06:22 PM

Stalls only provide more control for the environment. Easier on the human-to regulate diet, work, grooming etc--when the horse is in training or is working for a living--shows etc.

I always give them a couple weeks off when I can--big pastures, herds, grass up to their bellies. I usually spend my time off in my lawn chair in the middle of the pasture just watchin and scratchin their bellies when they so desire. Man thats the life!!!

HalfPass 01-05-2010 07:38 PM

Hey I read the same article today and thought it had good info. I love getting that news letter! It always has good articles in it.
HP

eventerdrew 01-05-2010 09:02 PM

Great article! I personally keep my horses in stalls when it's freezing but I also don't have barn doors: perfect ventilation. Just protects them from the wind. But I really did like the article. Thanks for posting it!

skittle1120 01-05-2010 09:40 PM

That article made me feel good about my 3-sided run in for my fuzzy girls... Its not perfect, and should be a little bit bigger, but it gets them out of the wind, and they're both fat, fuzzy and healthy....

I'll need to build a bigger one though when the baby comes in April...