The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding stigma? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-stigma-44387/)

Cheshire 01-05-2010 04:57 PM

Boarding stigma?

We are in the market for another horse, just a trail buddy. Interestingly, I have had two sellers turn me down when I mentioned that we board, without ever getting a look at the property or talking to my BO or anything of the sort. One glance or mention of the B-word is enough to send them backpedaling.

In the case of the latest prospect, I did tell her that we plan on moving by autumn to a place where we can keep our horses with us. But the fact that her gelding would be boarded in the interim was not a palatable thought. Which is a shame, as I really liked this little guy.

I was wondering...does boarding really have that bad of a stigma? I was under the impression that lots of owners board and it is a pretty standard thing to do. But now I am getting the inkling that more than a few people seem to look down their noses at it. I understand not all boarding facilities are trustworthy or a horsie version of the Ritz, but if your animal is going to get good care...

If you wanted to sell your horse, would the fact that they would be boarded or not influence your decision? Why?

horseluver2435 01-05-2010 09:18 PM

That's odd. I've only had my (first) horse for about half a year, and boarding is my only option, as first off, I'm only 14, and second off, we don't have the knowledge/expertise, nor the money to set up our own stable/pastures. I wouldn't have anything against a horse being boarded at all.

back in the crosby again 01-05-2010 09:53 PM

I did decide not to sell my horse to someone once when I found out which trainer they were using. I knew her and her place that was enough for me not to go through with the sale. So it may not necessarily the boarding of the horse in general it may be the place you plan on boarding at. Was it the mention of boarding the horse in general or specifically where you were going to be boarding at?
In general I may be a little more skeptical the other way, as most boarding facilities are better equipped then most private facility. Unless it was a situation like the above.

Cheshire 01-05-2010 10:17 PM

You see, that's the strange thing. All I mentioned is "we currently board". I didn't say name or location or any of that. ): I'm all for letting someone see the place (and the BO is too), but they didn't ask.

Personally I wouldn't care, unless as you said I knew the place firsthand. And there are many owners who don't have another option...like horseluver, and myself atm, who are excellent owners regardless. I just don't understand why I am suddenly crossing sellers who seem to think boarding automatically = evil. It's kind of frustrating. If you want to sell your horse in this economy...and you want a good home for it...then why would it matter?

horseluver2435 01-05-2010 10:26 PM

Yeah...who knows? Maybe they think their horse will get a disease, or will be more at risk to be injured when not at the owner's place? People can be awfully hard to read.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-05-2010 11:40 PM

A lot of places starve horses, or overfeed them, or decide they don't like your horse and then treat them poorly. And sometimes even nice places have to hire dreadful staff who yell at horses and shank them constantly and do annoying things. They usually don't last long tho...
Anyways point being - boarding sucks. You never know how your horse is being taken care of except when it's progressed so far that you can see it.
It also depends on the market. In the $20,000++ range, you know people aren't just going o be boarding at a place because it's the cheapest. They are probably serious competitors with trainers that take excellent care of their horses. Around $5000 you can't be sure those are the kind of people you're selling to.

Next time take pictures of the stable with you to see the horse and say "this is where I keep my horses".

Void 01-05-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 513111)
A lot of places starve horses, or overfeed them, or decide they don't like your horse and then treat them poorly. And sometimes even nice places have to hire dreadful staff who yell at horses and shank them constantly and do annoying things. They usually don't last long tho...
Anyways point being - boarding sucks. You never know how your horse is being taken care of except when it's progressed so far that you can see it.
It also depends on the market. In the $20,000++ range, you know people aren't just going o be boarding at a place because it's the cheapest. They are probably serious competitors with trainers that take excellent care of their horses. Around $5000 you can't be sure those are the kind of people you're selling to.

Next time take pictures of the stable with you to see the horse and say "this is where I keep my horses".

Wow... really? Wow. I would be more skeptical if I sold my horse to someone who DOESN't board. Because in my experience at Show Barns in California, the Horse is King. Whereas most people that board at home don't take as well of care of their horses... I'm not going to go into details but yea.... I'd rather sell my horse to a capable person in capable training hands then not.

upnover 01-06-2010 11:42 AM

Yeah, that's weird. Normally when I buy horses they're happy their horse won't be thrown into a pasture and forgotten.