The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Carot Stretches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/carot-stretches-44419/)

SallyRC123 01-05-2010 10:44 PM

Carot Stretches

Do you do carot stretches with your horse? If so what types of stretches do you do with them? I like to stretch the neck left, right and down as well as stretch hamstrings (by pulling the hind hooves towards the front) and Candy's tail by holding it near the base and leaning back both ways.. this is a relitively new stretch I read about in a horse masage book, you can also put your hand under the dock and push the tail up in a Question Mark like shape. Alot of horses love having their tails gently stretched, and will often pull against the pressure.

Anyway, who does carot stretches? I think they are great!

gypsygirl 01-05-2010 10:53 PM

i do ! just streching the neck left, right, & down, & pulling on the tail. my horses love the tail one =]

riccil0ve 01-05-2010 10:53 PM

I stretch my mare after tough rides, and I always try to stretch at least her neck after every ride. We stretch her neck to the left twice, the right twice, and between her knees twice, once with her left leg forward, once with her right forward. I've been doing this for about two years, and while at first she could hardly bend at all, she can practically reach her hips now. =]

When I stretch her legs, which she loves, I start with the fronts. I bring the foot up close to her body, like it's positioned when they lay down. I then bring it forward and lift from the knee straight up. Then I pull her leg forward, away from her body, and then stretch it across her chest. I do a pretty similar thing with her hind legs.

She loves her stretches. =]

QHDragon 01-06-2010 10:27 AM

I do! I make all horses that I am giving a treat to work for their treat by stretching their necks left and right as well as down between their legs. I sometimes get weird looks from their owners, but after I explain they start doing them too!

I do the leg stretches with my mare as my chiro said that it is a good way to check to see if she needs to be adjusted too since when she is off she is not as subtle and wont stretch her leg as far.

1dog3cats17rodents 01-06-2010 10:59 AM

Just the right left and between the legs ones. Ben starts doing all of his own stretches once the carrots come out, I kepp *trying* to explain he gets no treats for doing it without me asking!

gypsygirl 01-06-2010 11:12 AM

^^ haha poor ben, hes trying so hard !

kitten_Val 01-06-2010 12:30 PM

I do deep bend on left, right and down between the front legs. I also pull front legs forward till they stretch them (my farrier always does it too), pull back legs back for my qh (she loves it and does it herself I just have to hold it up), and I also put my hands on horse chest/belly and push it up (I've seen that at the clinic by equine practitioner). I do that tail one too (also seen at the clinic).

MIEventer 01-07-2010 07:06 PM

I do Carrot Stretches with Nelson all the time.

I have him stretch left, making sure he touches his hip with his muzzle. And repeat on the right hand side - I do those both x2.

I make him reach under, inbetween his front legs x2

I make him reach and touch his chest with his muzzle x2.

I lift his front legs up and stretch him. And I also scratch his rump to make him tuck under and work his topline. And I strach his belly to make him lift his spine up.

tealamutt 01-07-2010 09:58 PM

I stretch Tanner with carrot stretches and also stretch out his legs by gently pulling them forward and back after we work. He has a mineralization in one of his hamstring muscles (semitendonosus) and he loves it when I stretch and massage it. I also do a gentle stretch on him by pulling on his tail straight back. He leans into it and groans. So cute.

I didn't used to stretch him, but there was a thread a while back about everyone's stretch routine and MIE had such an impressive plan for Nelson I felt like I should at least try to stretch my boy a little. I'm so glad I started- he loves it.

equine fanatic99 01-08-2010 06:25 AM

Ive never tried those streches.. I think I will tho!! I think Sonya will like the tail one, lol