The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Riding Clydesdales (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/riding-clydesdales-44428/)

xeventer17 01-06-2010 12:27 AM

Riding Clydesdales

So here's the deal. I am absolutely determined to get my boyfriend to ride, even just once. However, being not super into horses, he's decided that he only wants to ride a Clydesdale (Don't ask me why, probably has something to do with the fact that they're associated with beer xD). Now I am not against riding draft type horses at all, however, I know it's not really common practice, especially in my area. I'm super determined though because he's made a deal with me that I can teach him to ride if he gets to ride a Clydesdale.

So yeah, long story short, I was just wondering if any of you have a Clydesdale whom you ride, or know people who do. I'm especially interested in people who live in southeastern Pennsylvania, cause that's where I am xD

horseluver250 01-06-2010 09:04 AM

I've never ridden a clydesdale (ridden percherons and belgians though), but if he wanted to try riding one you could take him on a trail ride to see if he even liked it. I've only heard of the Pocono Clydesdales, never actually been up there and dont' know the people. The pic on their site doesn't look like clydesdales, but def drafts. Who knows maybe they actually do have a few? Pocono Clydesdales, Pocono Manor, PA 18348 (570) 839-0925 Pocono Manor Stables - Pocono Manor, PA

Rissa 01-06-2010 09:10 AM

I am of no help, being in Indiana but the farm I board at has a Clydesdale and she is a trail horse. :)

She's a BIG girl too. At least 17.1

ShutUpJoe 01-06-2010 09:32 AM

I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch. I loved it. I know there are a couple of posters on here who have Clydes or Clydes X they ride.

dashygirl 01-06-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 513283)
I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch.

Ha, what a fantastic description. I've ridden many draft breeds, Clydes included. They are quite lovely.

My suggestion would be to call around to local trail riding stables and see if they have Clydes on-hand for the heavier people that come out to ride. I worked at a dude ranch where drafts were used as trail horses; anyone over 250 lbs. was put on a Clyde or Shire.

That way you could go on a simple trail ride and see if he really wants to continue with the 'deal' you two made. ;)

kevinshorses 01-06-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 513283)
I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch. I loved it. I know there are a couple of posters on here who have Clydes or Clydes X they ride.

The clydesdale I rode was like riding a couch with a jackhammer on each end. That horse was even rough at a walk. I had the same experience with a percheron but I rode a shire stallion that was very cool. He was small for a shire only 17 hands and 1500 pounds but he could move like his feet didn't touch the ground.

sillybunny11486 01-06-2010 11:59 AM

Were are you in PA?
I got an email from a woman trying to find someone to rider her clyde mare. Shes around the horsepark. Or try some trail rides at haycock?

ShutUpJoe 01-06-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 513402)
The clydesdale I rode was like riding a couch with a jackhammer on each end. That horse was even rough at a walk. I had the same experience with a percheron but I rode a shire stallion that was very cool. He was small for a shire only 17 hands and 1500 pounds but he could move like his feet didn't touch the ground.

I had a Belgian gelding that was like riding a big floating super stuffed teddy bear. He was great to ride but dumber than all get out. He was hard to catch. You'd chase him all day before you realized all you have to do to get him to stop is touch him anywhere on his body. Then he'd just stand there. Some drafts are rough. Some are dandies to ride. I like them because I'm not a small girl (5'7 150lbs) but they make me feel like it.

waterbuggies 01-06-2010 12:19 PM

I have 2 gelding Belgians, my 2 driving/riding geldings are like riding a tank at a trot. I think it has to do with them being driven, they have a different gait than my riding Belgian, he's smooooooth, he just doesn't canter, (he's 5 and still in training, I don't think he is completly secure with someone on his back running so I don't push him.) I would say stay away from a horse that drives and rides, at least for his first time, the roughness might make your boyfriend really not like riding.

Snowkicker 01-06-2010 12:25 PM

I rode a Percheron at my riding instructors, wow what an uncomfortable trot. Just about bounced my butt out of the saddle even when posting. He was a very sweet and well mannered boy, I just am use to smooth stock type horses. My husband's half Belgian is a dream to ride. Must depend if they have the cart horse action or not. Make sure the horse is smooth and sweet or it might be impossible to convince him to get on a horse again.