The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Winter riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/winter-riding-44465/)

nirvana 01-06-2010 04:56 PM

Winter riding

I was going to ride today but it was quite cold. I dont have an indoor arena (i dont even have an outdoor one actualy- i just ride on the road or paddock) I was just wondering what temperature is too cold to ride in? Who else rides during the winter...any sugestions on what I can do with my horse?

greymaregirl 01-06-2010 05:52 PM

hi,
we are in the grip of a bad spell of snow here in the scottish borders.. i havent been able to ride for three weeks.
i just go by the weather on the day if its snowing or icy i dont bother . my theory is i bought a horse to enjoy and if the weather is too cold then i wont enjoy riding so why bother..its not as if i have to keep him fit for any of the serious stuff!
maybe you could use the time to do some ground work and bonding with your horse. im enjoying the time just to fuss over the grown up and do some ground work with the youngster!:-)

EquestrianHollywood 01-10-2010 08:12 PM

I ride if its above 12 degrees F. I really dont work hard unless its above 20. Windchill included.

MyBoyPuck 01-10-2010 09:20 PM

Yeah, I just do ground work on the colder days. I don't usually ride if we can both see our breath. 20 degrees is about my cutoff.

Canopach01 01-10-2010 09:32 PM

eeekk.. I am glad I live in SC :) even though we are having a cold snap

nirvana 01-10-2010 09:34 PM

We dont get that warm of tempuratures during the winter here in Canada. With the wind chill its usualy in the -20's (-4 fahrenheit). were lucky if we get out of the double digit minuses.

nirvana 01-11-2010 09:28 PM

I rode today but the footing wasnt all that great. So I was wondering what you guys think I can do for ground work, or riding at walk and slow jog.
These are some things I think of
-pracice emergency discmount :D
-improve mounting from groung
-train im to turn on the forhand
-bareback
-standing up and holding 2 point
-improve halt

any ground work or riding sugestions would be great!

Jessabel 01-11-2010 10:24 PM

I don't even try to ride in the winter. The weather is miserable.

Jillyann 01-11-2010 11:46 PM

I love riding in the winter!! Nothing better then hearing the fluffy snow crunch under your horses hooves!

I dont ride if its super slippery.

nirvana 01-12-2010 07:22 AM

If the snow wasnt so sinky and crusty id let him canter. he LOVES cantering in the snow!