The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Back into Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/back-into-horses-44510/)

shadowanne 01-07-2010 03:20 AM

Back into Horses

Hi. I'm Jennifer. I got my first horse at age 27, eight years ago. Over the course of about 5 years I owned 3 horses and 2 very small ponies. About 3 years ago, I found myself out of horses for a variety of reasons. I've also been out of shape and gained a goodly amount of weight over that time.

But a few months ago I was itching to ride and leased a Welsh Cob/ThoroxPerch mare up the road. This led to seeking out my own mount which I did this December and now own a 19yo snowflake reg Appaloosa (but she's 50% Thoro) eventing and dressage trained mare named Smudge.

I board her about 4 miles from my house and ride at least 4x/wk and take a lesson once a month with dressage trainer, Jessica Wisdom. I'm planning on learning dressage with Smudge and maybe one day when I'm a better rider and if I'm not too chicken I'll try her out on jumps as she's supposed to be a fabulous jumper (see my avatar).

So, here I am on a new quest, starting from nearly scratch again - still a newbie horse owner, of poor fitness and overweight, and beginner rider - but with a lot of desire to learn the craft and perfect it as I can. I plan to enjoy the ride.

Here's a not so great pic of Smudge at my house the day she arrived:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2492/...6cdd30255b.jpg

HollyLolly 01-08-2010 09:11 AM

Aww, she's gorgeous! The best of luck for the future with her :D

luvmyperch 01-08-2010 09:38 AM

She's adorable! I am in a similar situation... I started riding when I was 9, started leasing when I was 10 and bought my first horse when I was 11. I showed and did really well in hunter/jumpers til about 15, then started working with green jumpers on 4-5' courses. I also worked in show barns, dressage barns, racing barns and as a vet tech. Well, around 19 years old, I was working and supporting myself and didn't have the time or money to stay with my beloved horses. I tried to take lessons on occassion when I could afford it (I lived in NJ for the last 10 years where all things horses is unbelievably expensive). At 30, I FINALLY came back to it. I started leasing a horse at the end of last summer and bought my new boy last month. I am outta shape, have no balance, feel or timing but my Danny is a fantastic boy who puts up with me trying to get it all back. Now I'm riding about 5 days a week, love my barn family, and am really excited for the show season to start so I can help and support the kids at my barn.

I never realized what a huge hole I had in my life til I went back to horses. My poor fiance had no idea what he was in for and our lives completely revolve around Danny, just like the first 20 years of my life, and just as it should be!! The best advice I can give you is not to worry what anyone else thinks and not to worry when its not perfect all the time. I had to sort of "get over myself" and suck up my pride. I may never ride as well as I used to, but I couldn't be happier!

horseoffire 01-08-2010 10:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, your horse is very pretty.

3neighs 01-09-2010 06:15 PM

Welcome, from a fellow Jennifer! ;) Smudge is gorgeous and I love her name. You'll find lots of helpful members here to help you through this next "ride". :D

Jillyann 01-09-2010 06:40 PM

Shes so pretty!!! Congrats and welcome back to the horse world!