The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   ??Not sure?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/not-sure-44537/)

Runningfree 01-07-2010 12:55 PM

??Not sure??

Hi,
I got my first horse just a few weeks ago....
His name is Ridge.
I'm not sure wether i should pull his mane or not. Because im inexpierence...Do you pull there mane just because its uneven or are there anyother reasons??? (health etc.):shock:

Spastic_Dove 01-07-2010 12:58 PM

Its mostly so it's easy to manage and braid for shows. If you're not showing, you can leave it long. I like to go through with my fingers and make sure no dreadlocks form though and keep it nice and neat.

kmdstar 01-07-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningfree (Post 514534)
Hi,
I got my first horse just a few weeks ago....
His name is Ridge.
I'm not sure wether i should pull his mane or not. Because im inexpierence...Do you pull there mane just because its uneven or are there anyother reasons??? (health etc.):shock:

People will usually pull a horses mane just to look neater. Most show horses will have a pulled mane, if you're just doing local shows you don't really NEED to but it'll look nicer. I don't do it because I just do small local shows and no one should be judging on my horses mane anyway, IMO.

Janasse 01-08-2010 12:44 PM

I pull my QH's mane mainly too keep it neat. I hate trying to keep a long mane tangle free and as soon as I'm done detangling it never fails that they'll go roll around and get it tangled again. It's personal preference I think.

JumpingTheMoon 01-08-2010 12:49 PM

I agree, unless you're showing I don't think it's a big deal.

ilovestitch 01-08-2010 10:38 PM

Agreed, if you dont have to i wouldnt either. Although if you do plan on showing further down the road trying little sections of mane to pull to practice wouldnt be a bad idea.