The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Getting a horse back in shape (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/getting-horse-back-shape-44557/)

Horsegal16 01-07-2010 06:06 PM

Getting a horse back in shape

I started working with a morgan gelding named Disco whose previous owner didn't do much with him, so he's kinda out of shape. He's a easy going horse to almost the point of lazy (he needs motitivtion and a helper) anyway, any tips on how to get him back in shape. He's huffing and puffing the first ten minutes, and I do make sure to warm him up properly. Thanks.

~Horsegal

GoldRush 01-07-2010 06:50 PM

Good thread! I have the same problem...awaiting all those (helpful) great answers!!!

Cowgirl140ty 01-08-2010 07:43 AM

I had an appaloosa that was lazy. She would stop moving if I stopped kicking kinda deal. Well... I lunged her every day.. start out at 5 mins each direction at a trot.. then walked her out. After She got to where she could trot 30 mins each direction.... She was much better when I was on her. Of course I do ride her with spurs now. I never had to get in her hard with them... but they are a little bit more noticable than the heal of my boot. Now as long as I have spurs on... she fine... never even have to use them. My calf is enough to get her moving. If I forget to wear them... shes right back to the kicking to keep her walkin.

RiosDad 01-08-2010 01:00 PM

Why not just ride him. You don't need to do alot of work. Just saddle up and head out for a nice ride. Walk if you want but spend time on him. Trotting is good, doesn't take too much out of a horse.
Lunging is boring and doesn't really do alot. Ride him.

kevinshorses 01-08-2010 01:02 PM

I agree. Most people won't have the time or desire to ride a horse hard enough to hurt it.

IslandWave 01-09-2010 01:34 AM

In May last year I started exercising a pasture puff. He's also very laid back and lazy. At first our rides were about half an hour long and consisted of walk and trot. We started doing canter the next week, but only in short spurts. I rode him twice a week.
Now I ride him four times a week for 45-60 minutes. It's just a matter of taking things slow and being able to tell when he reaches his limit. I think it's also good to mix in a little lunging and hillwork.