The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Spay/Geld (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/spay-geld-4457/)

Vidaloco 11-23-2007 07:36 AM

Spay/Geld

I have heard in some countrys they spay the female horse and keep the stallion intact. What do they do where you live and what do you think is better? I think spay is the right term, if not feel free to correct me.

Equina 11-23-2007 08:04 PM

Well, I know for dogs, cats, and (gasp!) humans its WAAAAY easier to neuter/castrate a male than spay a female. For a female it's big-time surgery while male (dogs/cats) just get a small incision and things removed. I'm sure it's a little different for a human male! ha-ha

Anyways, I would guess that recovery is easier for a male than female horse. And yes, in the good ol' USofA we generally give the boys the knife while the girls run around in heat and have PMS. Horses that is...

In what countries did you hear they did the opposite? I wonder if there is any benefit to keeping a male horse intact (if not used for breeding).

Vidaloco 11-24-2007 09:49 AM

I think it was in Japan that I heard they spay the females and leave the stallions. Not sure about it though. Probably a country where men rule the roost :wink: I have heard it is becoming more popular though.

TxHorseMom 11-24-2007 01:15 PM

Actually, in the US you can spay your mare. But like Equina said, it is more difficult, and a longer healing time than with the males. While it isn't prevelant in this country, it is possible to do.

Sara 11-28-2007 01:57 PM

I was actually talking to my mother about this the other day (just got back from visiting the rents for Thanksgiving) and she didn't know, aside from essaying the guess that its a more invasive surgery, so you only do it for mares who have physical or extreme behavioral issues. She said she's never actually spayed a mare, though she studied the technique in school (admittedly, she only worked heavily in equine medicine for about 6 years: she has a lot more experience with small animal/exotics). There are 2 or 3 methods for spaying a mare: the least invasive method actually takes the most skill.

Vidaloco 11-28-2007 11:01 PM

Interesting replys, I did a little research too about the various ways to and reasons to alter a mare. I just wondered since vets are always saying how much better it is health wise to alter a dog, cat etc. wouldn't it be the same for horses? Would we be giving them longer healthier lives by altering both mares and stallions if they weren't going to be used for breeding? Just a thought, not based on any real knowledge :wink:

Crazy4Horses 11-29-2007 01:43 AM

Very interesting subject Vidaloco. It would be interesting if they did a study on spaying versus not spaying a mare and see what the benefits are. Not sure if they already have or not but there seems to be a lot of questions with no answers.

TxHorseMom 12-01-2007 10:23 PM

The reason for spaying/neutering dogs and cats (aside from population issues) is that cancer of the uterus, mammarys, and testicals are prevelant in dogs and cats where, to my knowledge it isn't prevelant in horses.