The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   A Color Question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/color-question-44655/)

jiblethead 01-08-2010 11:12 PM

A Color Question...

2 Attachment(s)
Today I was on Wikipedia looking to see what kind of Paint my horse (Havana) was. But I could not fidgure it out! She has a little of each one and dosen't match any of them all the way. So Paint people I need your help, what kind of Paint in my horse? She is black and white, but mostly white. She has a mixed mane and tail, and white hooves. She has a black face with a white snip. It's probably really easy; I'm just not a color expert ;) Here are some pictures to help:

Snowkicker 01-08-2010 11:34 PM

She appears to be a tobiano, Though it is possible she might be a tovero because of the extent of the white and the white chin.

jiblethead 01-08-2010 11:40 PM

See that what I thought!...She only has a long white strip on her chin. It dosen't go very far, as the picture kind of looks like that.

Snowkicker 01-09-2010 12:06 AM

When they have that much white on them it is quite possible they carry both patterns. The edges of Overo markings are jagged and Tobiano are smooth. The Horse on my profile is a Tovero. He is very minimally marked. His father also a Tovero that looked a lot like your mare just a little more white on the face and a blue eye. It would be interesting to see how her parents were marked.

kassierae 01-09-2010 12:21 AM

Looks like Tobiano mixed with splash and/or sabino. Sabino causes the chin white, and splash can also cause it.

deuceschinagirl 01-09-2010 06:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This horse is a tobiano. I seen plenty of regitered paints with markings like yours that were classified as Tobianos. Here is are 2 photos of my horse who is also a tobiano.

Eastowest 01-09-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuceschinagirl (Post 516550)
This horse is a tobiano. I seen plenty of regitered paints with markings like yours that were classified as Tobianos. Here is are 2 photos of my horse who is also a tobiano.

APHA would register that pattern as Tobiano since based on their criteria there is "not enough overo" visible to call him a Tovero, however based on the face marking I suspect there is probably "something else" going on there too (sabino or splash).

CheyAut 01-09-2010 11:08 AM

DEFINATELY Tobiano and Splash. Splash loves to take the white off the chest that tobiano loves to leave colored. Possible to have sabino and frame as well, but 100% sure without a doubt tobiano and splash.

ridergirl23 01-09-2010 11:22 AM

i thinnnkkk.....PAINT! i think this is THE most complicated color thread i have ever read, haha so i will just stick with my bays.

i just had to say OP: i think your horse is adorable!!!!!!!!!! so much white and a brown face, i love it!! :D

jiblethead 01-09-2010 02:35 PM

Unfortunately I have no idea what her parents looked like :( She was a rescue...and you know how that goes. And I know, I got a headache just trying to fudgure it out on Wikipedia! Chesnuts and bays are much easier to catergiorize (sp?) :p