The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Odd horse trades (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/odd-horse-trades-44673/)

horseluver250 01-09-2010 11:04 AM

Odd horse trades

I've been seeing a lot of horses for trade for hay, which seems like a pretty usual trade. Then I've seen those few non-horse trades (mostly on craigslist)... such as horse for trade for running car or hunting dog. So just wondering, what are some of the odd things you have seen people wanting to trade there horse for?

Maverick101 01-09-2010 11:28 AM

A few years ago I had this guy show up on my farm. He had heard of us from a friend of a friend kinda thing....

He ws interested in a reg. QH colt I had for sale at the time, but seeing he didnt have the cash I was asking, he asked If I would take a snowblower in exchange (the kind that attaches directly to your tractor).
I kinda chuckled and said sorry we already had one.
He then offered to trade me an older mobile home!:shock:
I told him we could work out a payement plan, he was set on trading something....

I politley declined, as I figured if this guy didnt have the cash to buy him, I wasnt sure just what type of care this little guy was going to get after off my property, :?
It was an odd encounter that is for sure

Crimsonhorse01 01-09-2010 11:46 AM

I traded a colt for a boat.
On some people not have the $ to pay for a horse. I know of allot of people that have all the land/hay to have critters, but maybe not the $ in hand.

Maverick101 01-09-2010 11:54 AM

Crimson...yes of course I totally agree.
But in this situation the guy was having none of it. I offered a payment plan, and other options, but nope he had to trade. It was just strange, it was the vibe he sent off that I was Leary of.
But, that being said what if an emergency came up and the horses required vet attention? Would he barter w the vet and trade as he couldn't afford the vet care?
Trading for a horse is good if you are trying to save cash IMO, but trading cuz you don't have the cash isn't a good idea...but that is JMO

JumpingTheMoon 01-09-2010 01:15 PM

I've seen some odd stuff too. At the moment on our craigslist there's a lady been trying to sell a filly she got from a killpen, now she's down to trading her for paintball gear.

horseluver250 01-09-2010 01:15 PM

Maverick- that is really funny that they wanted to trade you for a mobile home haha

Maverick101 01-10-2010 01:46 AM

Yep...I thought so too. I could only imagine what type of condition this thing was in. As I was only asking 1500 for the colt!

MomwHorses 01-12-2010 11:56 AM

I traded a motorcycle for a gorgeous horse in 1985.

wiiPlayer455 01-12-2010 12:22 PM

If someone asked me to trade my horse for a wii. even though I love wii, i would keep my horse.

....bu thats probably because i already have a wii?? lol why would i need two?