The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Biting at sides (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/biting-sides-44751/)

ilovesonya 01-10-2010 12:22 AM

Biting at sides

So today I went out to the barn in spite of it being -15 outside. I took Sonya out and lunged her at a trot for about 15 minutes and then brought her back into the barn and put
her back in her stall. I noticed she was biting her sides(not colicking). Could this be from the foal moving around because of the workout? She is a maiden and about 8 1/2 months preggo. Thanks for any info!

kevinshorses 01-10-2010 02:57 AM

How do you know it wasn't colic? The foal is still pretty small and shouldn't be moving around much.

lacyloo 01-10-2010 03:05 AM

Get her temp, check vitals and listen for gut sounds....

ilovesonya 01-10-2010 11:39 AM

It wasn't colic because she pooped about a minute after she was biting, and when I was trying to feel for the baby I could hear gut sounds. Colic crossed my mind before the foal, but I listened for gut sounds, and I heard them.

Please just answer the question. I know it wasn't colic, as I said in the original post. I just want to know if it is ok/normal for her to be biting at her sides after a workout.

vivache 01-10-2010 02:13 PM

I've seen colic with poop and gut sounds.

It's not normal. If she's still doing it, get the vet out.

ilovesonya 01-10-2010 02:23 PM

She only did this for a few minutes, then went back to her normal self. She was not kicking her stomach, or trying to roll. She also was eatng while she was doing this. I don't know about you, but all colics I have seen the horse is trying to roll/lie down, not interested in food/water, and kicking/biting at sides.
COULD she be biting her side just from the foal moving around, because she isn't used to it? She is fine now, this happened yesterday, she is still alive, so we don't need to worry about colic, I just want my question answered... Could the baby be causing her to bite her sides, or not?

kevinshorses 01-10-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesonya (Post 517898)
Could the baby be causing her to bite her sides, or not?

I don't think so. Maybe she had an itch.

tealamutt 01-10-2010 03:40 PM

Absolutely. Lunging her might have woken the baby up, gotten him moving around more. When we do late term evaluations on our mares with ultrasound, the babies start moving all around after a couple minutes and the mares frequently look at their sides like "what the?" Some will even kick at their bellys, but after a few minutes, baby goes back to sleep and mom is calm again.

As long as she's back to normal right away, I wouldn't worry about it. But others who have posted here are right, pooping and gut sounds don't necessarily rule out colic, but they do indicate a less severe case. Remember, colics can go from mild to very serious in very short order. Always good to monitor heart rate and temp to see if the horse is becoming more painful whenever you suspect colic.

stacieandtheboys 01-10-2010 06:20 PM

Our pony bit at her sides before she gave birth. She started about a week or so before hand and then right before she lay down to have her.

farmpony84 01-10-2010 06:29 PM

I personally would give her some water from the house (warm) and then I would watch her. I'm not saying it is colic, but it could be. I wouldn't rule it out. I'm sure she's fine.