The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Riding Discipline HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/riding-discipline-help-44753/)

JessicaGDA 01-10-2010 02:17 AM

Riding Discipline HELP!

Alright, so I am fairly new to riding, I've been riding for about a year or so. I don't own a horse, I've just been riding lesson horses for this year. I've started learning Western, never have ridden English, but English- Show Jumping and Dressage really interests me a lot. But I also like Western a lot, not sure what to do now, or where to go from here.

What would you recommend? Do you think I should change riding styles, or learn both? What is your favorite riding style and competition? I would also like some facts about them both from a rider themselves on both disciplines.

Just super confused about what to do now! Thanks ahead! :D

horseluver250 01-10-2010 09:26 AM

If you are able to, why not try both then you can decide what you like better (or just continue to ride both!). I ride both english and western. I learned to ride english, so it was pretty easy to change to western. I think it might be harder to adjust to and english saddle after learning western.

ETA: wanted to ad that I have never actually shown western, only trail riding and some gaming for fun. I grew up eventing, foxhunting, playing polocrosse, and competed quite a bit in mounted games with the pony club.

RachelAlexandra 01-10-2010 12:23 PM

I say, learn both! Why not? I ride English and I love Dressage and Show-jumping, but not so much eventing, so I just do two disciplinces seperatly. I also love playing polocrosse, trail ride and work with race horses.

JessicaGDA 01-10-2010 10:43 PM

That's a good idea. Thank you both.
I would have to go to a different barn though to learn English- Dressage and Jumping though. That's why I've been kind of confused and "stuck" on what to do!

Tasia 01-10-2010 10:59 PM

Hmmm Well I rein and do WP but if your already learning western I would keep doing it until you have more expierence then you can try something new.

Amy Ryals 01-10-2010 11:04 PM

I have trained both English and western riders before and truthfully, you will benefit greatly from taking a few English lessons to see what you think of it. It will also help with balance and seat and overall riding skill. I love my WP horses but there is a great reward having a great jump or English ride too. You can do both and do them well! Good luck!

PechosGoldenChance 01-11-2010 10:15 AM

I'm WP and reining. That's really all I've wanted to do, and have no desire to do anything else (english/dressage wise). I have jumped for fun but not really my thing. All I have to say is what was posted above is that if both interest you, go for it!! There's no reason why you should only have to choose one lol. If I liked english as much as western, I'd do both too.

chika1235 01-11-2010 03:29 PM

i have shown western but i still can jump in an english saddle! i think its harder to switch from western to english.because western riding is a little bit more relaxed and your not on the bit all the time.

DressageLady88 01-11-2010 03:46 PM

I've learned that jumping helps with dressage and vice versa so your'e safe to start with either!! I always love a western saddle on trail rides too :)

ridergirl23 01-11-2010 03:50 PM

I ride western sometimes for fun, but im mainly dressage, (i used to jump) but i find i benefit from trying all disiplines, i once had a reining lesson, which was fun! i think its fun to learn them all ,who knows, you may just fall in love with dressage or jumping!