The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Blindness in one eye (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/blindness-one-eye-44798/)

Ladywantsahorse 01-10-2010 04:34 PM

Blindness in one eye

Does anyone own a horse that's blind in one eye?
In your opinion, how does it affect their life?

Amy Ryals 01-10-2010 04:39 PM

One eyed blindness

I owned a show horse with only one eye for many years. We retired her and only rode her on trails, but she did very well. The only thing I ever had to really watch was the kids being on the ground on that side. She might not see them and hit them with her head. Otherwise, she adjusted very well. We even drove her with a cart. She lived to be 32 years old and then lost sight in her other eye. We had her for another year, completely blind. I don't recommend this for very long. It is just not fair when they are this old. We loved her and she was a great horse despite her disability. Don't underestimate the horse's ability to adapt and thrive.

lilkitty90 01-10-2010 04:50 PM

7 Attachment(s)
me and another girl here are sharing a horse right now. if she sems this thread she will probably reply as well. but the Appaloosa mare is pregnant as of right now and she blind in one eye. and when we first bought her we rode her by a BIG fan on her blind side and it didn't bother her a bit. we also rode her between to closely parked cars and she didn't mind. but she has been blind in that eye for over 9 years easily. i also think she may be going deaf or something. i was on her blind side and was talkign to her and when i touched her face it scared her to death. so make sure you always approach from the non blind side and work your way around unless you make sure they hear you loud and clear. i took one of the pictures standing directly behind her rear. and the one with me riding. i was riding in the dark and in the snow. and it was only the 2nd time i had ever ridden her. and she did fantastic even bareback.

there is also to be known completely blind horses to compete and horses that are blind in one eye to still compete in shows and such.

Ladywantsahorse 01-10-2010 04:57 PM

No, I don't think it's fair to them either, but I can understand how attached you can get to them.

I've seen a few people try to find homes for totally blind horses. I don't think that's fair either, to take them from familiar surroundings and put them in a strange place when they are totally blind. Unless of course it's an emergency or a rescue.

Ladywantsahorse 01-10-2010 05:04 PM

That's amazing! I don't know how they can compete like that. They must really have super senses. Maybe I'm under estimating their abilities.

lilkitty90 01-10-2010 07:56 PM

yeah here is a website. i think this horse is fully blind.
A guide to loving and caring for blind horses
and another
Blind horse to compete in horse show Oct. 13 | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper
and according to some people blind horses make trail horses!
"what they don't see going, they'll see comming back!" lol
Behind the Bit: Blind horses: Trust makes anything possible
here is one that was in the news
Girl, blind horse inspire: News24: SouthAfrica: News
here is a video of a blind horse jumping. now it is only 6 inches but that is still awesome.
my horse with two perfectly good eyes wont even do this.
ok last one i promise. you get the point.
you can do anything with a blind horse. with enough training and trust.

and here are some rescues for blind horses.
Flurry's Hope
HorseNet Horse Rescue
i know there is more and there is also an awesome video of a family who started a rescue specifically for blind horses but i can't seem to find it.

shadowanne 01-10-2010 08:02 PM

I owned an appy that went blind in her right eye - she was about 20. The eye had that cloudy look, but otherwise was healthy. She was totally fine and you could ride her and you'd never know she was blind.

southernsorrel 07-14-2014 06:21 PM

the horse I was leasing for a while ( I got my own horse but still ride the other one for fun sence there at the same place) he was half blind for most of his life due to getting punctured in it. he still did everything from trail riding, barrel racing, speed events. to anything English including jumping. hes just a tad more hesitiant with that eye towards the middle. the horse I bought (5 years old) recentally went blind in his right eye and doesn't seam to phase him hes just more hesitiant with that eye in when were doing training sessions. id persornally rather own horses like that instead one ones with full sight because I find it more different

LadyChevalier 07-14-2014 06:51 PM

I grew up on my pony Cherokee who is blind in his right eye. He was injured many years before i started riding him so he was already well adjusted to not seeing in that eye. Even without that eye to see he is an amazing pony. It doesnt really hinder him at all. He is just more careful with that side. I showed him in 4h, did bunch of gaming, rode him all over the place. He trusted me not to steer him into anything on that side and in return he took good care of me. Couldnt have asked for a better pony to grow up on. :)

lovebearsall 07-14-2014 08:08 PM

I suppose that completely depends on the horse's temperament. I owned a mare who had a bit of attitude to start, and when she went blind, that attitude magnified. She became extremely spooky and would bolt at that drop of a hat!