The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Best for Jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/best-jumping-4487/)

huntergrl 11-26-2007 03:00 PM

Best for Jumping?

Me and my best friend have been riding together for a long time and are experienced riders. I will be purchasing a horse after the new year. I want an eager jumper who is willing to sore above 4 ft with me. It has always been a dream of mine and I never had the time to fulfill it until now. Anyhow I was discussing with my friend the breed I should get. I think the taller the better but she says not especially. She thinks I should get an appendix Quarter Horse/Thoroughbred. I was leaning more towards the Thoroughbred. What do you think?

fordchic2011 11-26-2007 05:46 PM

i would recomend a throughbred or a warmblood!!! :)

Equina 11-26-2007 10:36 PM

I agree, TB, Warmblood, or some sort of TB Cross would be good. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the horse's breed. Nail down your price range, and just start going out there and trying out potential horses. Find a well mannered horse, with good feet and legs, who you get along with! Trust me, when you find him, you'll know he's "the one." Oh, and if you want to start jumping him very soon, don't look for anything under 4 (or even 5) years old, so that he's fully developed.

Good luck! And have fun horse-shopping!

huntergrl 11-27-2007 09:35 AM

Thanks that sounds good to me. I have been finding alot of really young ones jumping already and I dont like that one bit.

giget 11-27-2007 09:41 AM

i would vote for a thoroughbred a wb is ok if u want to do show jumping but they are slower and wear out a lot easier on the cross country

Sara 11-30-2007 05:48 PM

I'd vote tb also...but I'm probably biased, I love riding them. Very bright and eager horses, very athletic, good endurance overall.

horsecrazy15 12-01-2007 05:06 PM

i vote a warmblood, only becasue i have one, ive had him for 5 weeks now and i love him to pieces, im currently jumping him and i am intending to enter him into showjumpings comps however when i jump him in the field he sores over 4ft jumps, hes a 16:2hh nicely built bay gelding. i cant fault him plus his temperment is over of this world! its so god hes isnt nasty at all just dumb lol which i think of most geldings xx :lol:

Peppermint 12-01-2007 06:54 PM

I don't think it has to do what breed, but the horse.

Although I would say a thoroughbred!

jazzyrider 12-02-2007 05:17 AM

yup i agree with everyone about a tb or a wb. even over cross country a fit wb will do well ;) both of these horses show great heart and ability in eventing so id say either of those. or maybe a tb/wb cross??? :) lol thats if you cant decide

sparky 12-02-2007 06:26 AM

Well, what do you want to do? Just SJ or eventing? Definately a TB, or a TB x WB.