The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   i have a problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-have-problem-44906/)

whatarush43 01-11-2010 06:01 PM

i have a problem

ok here it is. i have 2 mares and they hate each other with a passion i have them in seperate penns with a rail fence between them and they still want to rip one another apart they have bin doing this for 2 months now and im scared to put them in the same trailer or have them on the same trail. what do i do

churumbeque 01-11-2010 06:12 PM

The best thing is for them to get used to each other like you are doing. If after 2 months they obviously do not like each other. Is one more dominent? If so go to that ones pen and reprimand her when she acts up. This would have been nice to do early on when the problem started and may take longer to solve. Flag here and get her moving around and keep repeating it. She will get tired of working. If they are both dominent get someone in the other pen to do the same thing with the othre horse.

JustDressageIt 01-11-2010 06:12 PM

I'm sorry, I found that really hard to read without punctuation... so I'm going to just correct it here a little bit so you might have more responses.

Quote:

I have two mares and they hate each other with a passion. I have them in seperate pens with a rail fence between them, and they still want to rip one another apart. They have been doing this for two months now and I'm scared to put them in the same trailer or have them on the same trail. What do I do?
How exactly do they act towards one another? How big of a trailer do you have? If you have a 3+horse trailer, I would suggest keeping them separated from one another by keeping a stall in between them. On the trail, as long as you have competent riders on them I can't see too much of a problem, just make sure to keep them fairly far apart from one another.
Just my two cents!

kmdstar 01-11-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 519176)
The best thing is for them to get used to each other like you are doing. If after 2 months they obviously do not like each other. Is one more dominent? If so go to that ones pen and reprimand her when she acts up. This would have been nice to do early on when the problem started and may take longer to solve. Flag here and get her moving around and keep repeating it. She will get tired of working. If they are both dominent get someone in the other pen to do the same thing with the othre horse.

Maybe I just have a very stubborn mare, but this doesn't work for my mare. I've tried it. I've found when horses don't like eachother...they just DON'T and you can't make them.

When you have an alpha horse and another horse that won't back down challenges them, I'd suggest keeping them as far apart from eachother as possible. I've had to change barns before this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 519177)
I'm sorry, I found that really hard to read without punctuation... so I'm going to just correct it here a little bit so you might have more responses.

How exactly do they act towards one another? How big of a trailer do you have? If you have a 3+horse trailer, I would suggest keeping them separated from one another by keeping a stall in between them. On the trail, as long as you have competent riders on them I can't see too much of a problem, just make sure to keep them fairly far apart from one another.
Just my two cents!

Agreed. My mare can be a snot in the pasture but usually with a rider she will be fine and leave the other horses alone.

whatarush43 01-12-2010 12:00 AM

Well the wifes horse is the dominent one in the one pen. She is 15 years old and thinks she is the Queen. The other horse in the other pen is 8 and she thinks she should be Queen. I know that they need to get use to each other and establish the pecking order and I have no problems with that. But these two are driving me crazy. They are literally trying to kill each other. Rearing, pawing, full blown biting, kicking...they have taken down the fence seperating them three times now by fighting over the fence. As for experienced riders on them, my wife is very experienced but my daughter isn't and she is the owner of the 8 year old. We haven't even tried loading them yet due to this issue, even though I have a five horse slant. I don't want to see either horse get hurt or the person or persons loading them. And it's only these two who have issues with each other. As for reprimanding them when they do it, we have tried and they keep fighting with us in the pens. Thier only concern is each other and they could give a hoot about us being in there with them. Will continue with the same game plan that we have been doing. Hopefully they will work out thier issues.

5cuetrain 01-12-2010 07:34 PM

They are simply argueing over who is higher on the totem pole than the other. Thats it--it has nothing to do with liking or disliking each other. both sound like strong minded mares and it sounds like the young one has recently come along to challenge the older ones turf.

Only two real options--
1. pull their shoes--if they have them--trim the up and turn them loose together. They will settle it between themselves in short order--one of them will be squealing like a pig. You can stay close and "convince" the winner that enough is enough if you choose.
2. Keep them separated--that means not in turn outs with a common fence. Thats like throwing gas on the fire-- "Oh Yeah!!"" "YEA!!"" etc etc.

I would vote for option 1. I've seen some cocky young fillies decide to tangle with my old lead mare and for sure she settles it quick. The next day all is well and they hang together eating grass and swatting flys.

Honeysuga 01-12-2010 08:09 PM

Sounds like you have a pickle and a half.

I vote remove the shoes, give em a good trim w/ a mustang roll to prevent bad cuts and let 'em duke it out in a nice big safe pasture. Eventually one will give up and submit.

They seem like that is going to be the only way to calm them down. If they want to kick each others asses, let em do it, otherwise get over them hating each other cause it will not change.

You could actually be causing more trouble by keeping them separate, it is allowing them to build hostility with no resolution... as has been said, gas on the fire.

And as for trailering, since you have a five horse slant just put one in the first stall and one in the last, 3 stalls should be a good buffer.

ilovemyPhillip 01-12-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 520332)
Sounds like you have a pickle and a half.

I vote remove the shoes, give em a good trim w/ a mustang roll to prevent bad cuts and let 'em duke it out in a nice big safe pasture. Eventually one will give up and submit.

They seem like that is going to be the only way to calm them down. If they want to kick each others asses, let em do it, otherwise get over them hating each other cause it will not change.

You could actually be causing more trouble by keeping them separate, it is allowing them to build hostility with no resolution... as has been said, gas on the fire.

And as for trailering, since you have a five horse slant just put one in the first stall and one in the last, 3 stalls should be a good buffer.

AGREE AGREE AGREE! I could not of put it any other way! Thanks HoneySuga :D.

My three geldings [a 23 year old QH cross.. 15 hh, a 9 year old 13.2 Arab, and a full 15.3 8 year old QH] used to kill each other in the beginning! The Arab (Phillip) would set up the fight, Zeph [8 yr old] would finish it. Phillip got his butt beaten so bad, he had a softball-sized notch on his neck, from a kick. Zeph and Tornado [23 yr old] had shoes. Well, they got in a kicking fight and Zeph did this to Tornado...
This needed two/three stitches.

THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC!

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0103.jpg

Same pic from a different angle;

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0104.jpg
From further away;

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0102.jpg
Second kick (back leg);

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0105.jpg
The above got infected.

And last (third) kick;

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0106.jpg

First gash after stitches;
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/CIMG0130.jpg

Just showing the damage that can be done due to shoes. Barefoot they do wayy less damage. And less costly!(:

After everyone got they're rankings don, and their butts kicked, everything seems to set in place and was calm.

danastark 01-12-2010 09:46 PM

Yikes, graphic pictures. I've never had to deal with this before but recently pony on pony aggression has entered my life! I've always kept my horses in a herd setting so they are socialized. Last week I brought in 2 new ponies to feed/lease as companion animals. My trusty, docile POA gelding and the littlest pony have it in for each other for whatever reason and went to battle, rearing and wrapping their front legs around each other's neck, clamping down on withers, kicking, really going at it. I broke it up by waving some pads at them but WOW! Never seen anything like it except on documentaries where stallions go at it. Since I'm feed leasing the pony, I certainly don't want him to get hurt so I can't just let them go at it. They are pastured next to each other and don't fight over the fence but do try to get in sneak attacks when being ridden or led near each other. My POA is not the dominant horse in the herd, he's more in the middle. I'm wondering if I turned them loose with him in there, if he'd get after them for being so asocial?

qtrhrsecrazy 01-13-2010 10:49 AM

I agree with pulling shoes and putting them together. The down side is a possible broken bone from a well placed kick on the legs, even barefoot.. but unlikely