The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Kicking (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/kicking-44910/)

ridergirl23 01-11-2010 07:08 PM

Kicking

so i was reading a few threads, and i realized I didnt know how to correct a kicker! I ant to fix problem horses when i am older, and i know ways to fix everything i can think of, and for different horses i always think up different ways. but i just can think about how to fix a kicker!
so how would you fix a hrose that kicks? just ignore all the factors, like the type of horse, and all that. what is one (or more if you know more then one) way to correct this issue? :Dthanks in advance

RiosDad 01-11-2010 08:55 PM

I always seem to have to do with a kicker in the first week I start a young stud. All of them seem to kick once or twice in the first week. I cross tie right off the bat and trim the feet in the first day. I brush daily and most of these young guys kick. When they do cow kick me since I am brushing the sides I quickly/instantly move in hard and fast bringing the knee up hard in the rib cage and yelling NO at the same time.
Yes I took two kicks on the hib from Rio in the first week. He has never kicked again.
I don`t worry about being kicked, I don`t worry about him breaking the cross ties, I don`t worry about hurting his feelings. I move in instantly bringing the knee as hard as I can into his rib cage.
Seems to stop all tendencies to kick right then and there.

That said I am big, strong and have done this manuver many times.
I have also been a farrier for 24 years now so dealing with a kick is not new.

MacabreMikolaj 01-11-2010 09:29 PM

I am fast and furious when a horse kicks, and it always deals with the problem with the horse not being traumatized.

Zierra kicked my ex-boyfriend once when she was about 3 years old. He was trotting her on a leadline, and she got ahead of him, lined him up and nailed him in the shoulder. I just happened to be carrying a crop from riding my gelding, and I immediately caught her and beat the crap out of her hindquarters. Keep in mind this is a flat end popper crop that makes an awful lot of noise without actually having the ability to do damage. I just kept circling her tight around me, walloping her ass as hard as I could to get my point that at NO point should I ever see her butt unless I want to. That was the one and only time I have ever had Zierra kick in 11 years.

Jynxy came to me thinking kicking was acceptable. She almost got me once in the yard when she bolted around me on the leadrope and lashed out. I did the same thing I did with Zierra, circling her tight and walloping her with the end of the leadrope. Jynxy isn't as fast of a learner and she's tried once more while I was grooming her. I was holding a rubber curry comb and I hurled it at her ass, connected hard and then promptly untied her and gave her butt one heck of a spanking. Since then, I haven't had a single problem with her.

Obviously if you were working with an abused animal kicking out of fear, you would need a different method. Zierra's dam was abused and tried kicking the snot out of me anytime I handled her back legs. I resolved this issue by looping a soft poly rope behind her fetlock and pulling her leg up and just allowing her to kick against the rope until she figured out I wasn't going to hurt her and she was ok.

For a horse kicking out of nothing but disrespect, I am not concerned whatsoever by the amount of physical force I'm using. Obviously tying the animal up and beating it with a whip is unacceptable, but I find the harder you barrel into an obstinate horse thinking it can get away with crap, the faster you get over the problem with no harm done.

ridergirl23 01-11-2010 09:46 PM

ok, good to hear guys! haha that was how i was taught to deal with a kicker. :P haha good to know im sorta on the righ trak, thanks!

lacyloo 01-11-2010 09:58 PM

Kicking is the most dangerous thing a horse can do on the ground and I wouldn't hesitate to correct it. ;)
I agree with Riosdad and MacabreMikolaj...

dressagexlee 01-11-2010 10:09 PM

Otis used to kick out sideways with his back feet to try and get me while grooming. He isn't a particular fan of being groomed around his rear end, flank, or belly (possibly due to the abusive trainer he had. He's very shy/flighty of spurs, whips, and all that stuff. We've done lot's of touchy-feely work around those areas, but he has just never liked grooming so much.), and I am more than happy to deal with a horse that lays their ears back at me for my obbsessive cleaning. But the kicking? Not cool, just plain disrespectful.
But one day, while I was brushing the top of his tail, he kicked out sideways at me so suddenly with lightning speed, which I narrowly dodged. What did I do? Laid a sideways ninja kick to his marshmallow butt with a loud "H'yaa!".
He just stared at me with a shocked look on his face, "YOU ACTUALLY KICKED ME?!"
I simply went back to grooming, forgetting that it ever happened. Otis has only kicked out a few times since, but only passing horses that he doesn't know. I'll probably invest in a red ribbon for shows.

RiosDad 01-11-2010 10:53 PM

A horse can not really kick you hard if IF you move in on him, not out. If you step back to kick him with your foot he outreaches you and could lash out and really do damage. By stepping into him and using the knee you are actually invading his space making it uncomfortable for him plus lessening your chance of being hurt by another kick.
I move in right against him yelling and bringing the knee up hard in his rib cage,not his gut but his rib cage about where your girth would be.
It works
Do not step back and kick.

dressagexlee 01-11-2010 11:06 PM

Who says I stepped back? I was standing behind his flank, and dodged the kick by moving to his barrel, and swiftly kicked my leg out sideways to land it above his stifle. I couldn't use my arms in the situation (holding a rubber curry comb and a dandy brush) and Otis just kicks out more if you even touch his belly. We tried the common method of using the knee in the past. It actually encouraged his problem.
And it obviously worked, too. He respects my space now by keeping all four feet on the ground unless I ask for one.
Who knew that watching Naruto would actually help with horse training? Heehee! xD

For interesting fact sake, I actually have been kicked by Otis. In the face. But it was because I got in his blind spot between him and another horse that he was backing up to kick. I escaped with only a few stitches and a couple of broken teeth, luckily. ~

Candace09 01-11-2010 11:19 PM

Solution::::
take her into a round pen bring her to the center. do you normal routine on how you tack up. i would brush her first. if she tries to bite, or kick at you make her feet move right after she does it. you can't wait 30 seconds. When she goes to bite, youve got 3 seconds to corret it. So get her feet moving and lunger her around and get her tired. then bring her back in the middle continue with brushing. if she bites on kicks again, make her feet move. eventually she will put the 2 pieces together. which are if i bite/kick im going to have to work. if i stand here nice i wont have to work. try this and see what result you get.

TIP::: i would invest in a handy stick. they are more duralble than a traditional lunge whip. they will last forever and have hard enough to defend yourself if this mare or any horse tries to charge or in anyway disrespect you

dressagexlee 01-11-2010 11:22 PM

Are you directing you post at me?
Because if you are, you should re-read my posts. And, Otis is a gelding. ~