The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/barrel-racing-44917/)

katieandduke 01-11-2010 07:31 PM

Barrel Racing

hey guys.. i was hoping that someone could help me!

the story is i will start riding this horse for this women.. the horse is an EXTREMELY well trained horse.. the lady wants him to be trained in all disciplines.. both english and western.. i know how to teach a horse to jump and stuff(which is what he daughter really wants him to be trained in) i trained my horse from the ground up to jump..but i have absolutely no idea how to train a horse to barrel race or pole bend.. i have been taught to barrel race myself but i have not been taught to train a horse how to barrel race correctly.. i have started my horse out by teaching him the pattern at a walk and trot...but the lady wants me to train him and i want to make sure i can do it right..and yes, she knows i have no idea how to train him to do this..well actually, i have an idea how to but im not exactly sure on some specific stuff like where to rate at what exactly is rating and anything else i may need to know... so if you are a barrel racer or know about barrel racing please help me out! thanks in advance!!

Candace09 01-11-2010 09:21 PM

Well youve already started out on the right foot! once they have the pattern down it'll be pretty easy. Get the lead changes down too.

katieandduke 01-11-2010 09:34 PM

o ok..sounds easy enough! lol..i know it will be hard work but it will also be well worth it in the longggg run! thanks for your input!

Candace09 01-11-2010 09:48 PM

No problem! Im in the process of doing the same thing with a horse named "Harvy". So I know where your coming from. Be sure to update us all with your progress!