The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   is this a .....gaited...saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/gaited-saddle-44918/)

Piaffe 01-11-2010 07:44 PM

is this a .....gaited...saddle?

4 Attachment(s)
is this just a regular gaited saddle or something else,too? i ask because most gaited saddles i have seen either have no horn or a regular sized one...and this ones horn is pretty big...any ideas ? :D thanks!

Piaffe 01-11-2010 09:00 PM

nobody? : (

SouthernTrails 01-12-2010 06:52 AM

A Gaited Saddle is a very generic term, the have Gaited Barrel Saddles, Endurance Saddles, Trail Saddles, etc.

The Saddle you posted reminds me of a South American Paso Fino Saddle. They are actually very common among US Paso Fino Owners.

Piaffe 01-12-2010 09:58 AM

hmm...do you think it would be fine for a Peruvian Paso then? I was going to try it on my Peruvian stallion because western saddles just don't fit him right. I got it used and the previous owner didn't know a lot about and its my first gaited saddle...so i wasn't sure :) thank you!

SouthernTrails 01-12-2010 10:18 AM

Peruvians like any Paso can come in different sizes and widths, but it is designed to fit the average Paso, just have to try it on and check for proper fit, use your fingers to run between the bottom of the bars and your Horse to check for any gaps or pinching and then if that seems good take a good ride and see how he likes it, not head shaking, bucking or unusaul behavior and then see how sweat patterns look.

Piaffe 01-13-2010 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
does it look like it fits him okay? i didn't really like it personally and i want him to be very comfortable....

SouthernTrails 01-13-2010 09:01 AM

It looks like the back might be a little narrow, but it would help if you put the Saddle on without a pad and too a side view, one on both sides while looking at the withers and front of saddle to see how the contours of the saddle rest on his body, then one showing the back of the saddle.

Very Lightly cinch the Saddle down for the pics

Honeysuga 01-13-2010 09:25 AM

I think it looks a little wonky on him... Of course I have no clue about how a "gaited" saddle is supposed to fit, but to me that just looks like it is going to pinch the crap out of him. correct me if I am wrong... Looks made for a horse with extremely high withers....

Piaffe 01-13-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 520770)
I think it looks a little wonky on him... Of course I have no clue about how a "gaited" saddle is supposed to fit, but to me that just looks like it is going to pinch the crap out of him. correct me if I am wrong... Looks made for a horse with extremely high withers....

I agree...I don't think I am going to keep it for him. i don't like the look and it didn't seem to help or hurt his gaiting...didn't seem to make any difference so I think i will ditch the funny thing and get him a regular saddle :)

i am having a hard time finding one. You see I ride strictly english and dressage....western just isn't for me. but my stallion is definitely a western horse. i have already bought him one western that didn't fit and now this funny...lol. oh well...i will keep trying, his comfort is most important to me.

thanks for the help:-)

Honeysuga 01-13-2010 09:55 AM

Take him to the tack store with you. I don't know about around you , but around here you can just pull your trailer up outside, tie him to the hitch post and pick out a saddle with the help of an employee....

If that is not possible take a piece of heavy wire or a coat hanger (straightened out) and mold it to his withers and then trace it onto a piece of cardboard. Cut out on top of it so you can hold it up under the saddle and see how it will fit. This could make your saddle shopping a little easier, if it seems to fit the cutout, try it on him, if not don't waste your time.

Or you could call a professional saddle fitter...