The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   IHSA-Prep Camp! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/ihsa-prep-camp-44927/)

anrz 01-11-2010 09:56 PM

IHSA-Prep Camp!

Well, riding lessons aren't continued over the winter (I still take privates though) at my barn, and there are camps. One of them is an IHSA-Prep camp, which is an hour of riding and an hour of information/lectures on IHSA and riding. The first day was today and it's great! The first two days are taught by the team captain and the other two are taught by my instructor. I've already learned so much! Thumper is REALLY REALLY REALLY fresh right now, so we've been getting lots of good tips. We worked on lots of half-halting today and counting strides towards the jumps to keep an even pace and to get a good approach. Thumper takes any opportunity he can to get out of doing what you want him to, so a good approach and takeoff is vital :). What he's been doing this winter is ripping the reins out of my hands and gaining control, so we worked on outsmarting him BEFORE he could get his head. I've already learned so much, and I think it's a great opportunity for me to really start learning about college riding, especially since I hope to get a job in the horse industry. Just thought I would share my experience!

luvmyperch 01-12-2010 03:43 PM

That's awesome! I'm so jealous that I didn't go to school where I could ride. I didn't know they did things like ISHA prep camps! Where will you be going to school?

anrz 01-12-2010 04:09 PM

I don't know yet... I'll probably start looking at colleges over the next few years. I'm definitely planning on going to school somewhere where they have either IHSA or NCAA, though! My instructor went to Mt. Holyoke (sp?), and I might want to look into that because she said that she really enjoyed it.

eventerdrew 01-12-2010 05:01 PM

What grade are you in? just out of curiosity.

I am hopefully going to compete on the IHSA circuit this fall with my college. I'm going to be attending Midway College in Kentucky and I'm super excited! You should look into it anrz! Midway College, Midway, KY | Midway College | Midway College

anrz 01-12-2010 10:10 PM

Sorry, I can't say my age/grade on the internet, but I still have a couple years before I start seriously looking into colleges. I'd like to have an idea of what courses and colleges I'm interested in early enough that I'll have an idea what exactly I should be focusing on. I like to be prepared :). From what I've heard, there's nothing worse than being in a crunch to choose a college! I'll check out their website! Thanks!

gypsygirl 01-12-2010 10:57 PM

have you ever ridden with mark ?

anrz 01-13-2010 05:36 PM

Mark Aplin? The team captain (she's teaching the first two days) suggested that I take a couple lessons with him, if he's who you're talking about. I haven't, but I hinted to my dad that a lesson might be a good birthday present :).

kslive4myhorse 01-20-2010 12:26 PM

eventerdrew: I am really interested in going to Midway College too! In fact Im going to the preview day in April. What are you majoring in? (just curious) Id like to go into the equine health/rehabilitation:) Do you know if they have an eventing team?