The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   ****Colt starting**** (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/%2A%2A%2A%2Acolt-starting%2A%2A%2A%2A-4493/)

ladybugracer 11-26-2007 05:31 PM

****Colt starting****

Hey all,

I just got 2 1/2 year old a month ago and need some help. I have finished and worked all my own horses for years, but this is my first starter. He is a really nice boy, and great on the ground. I have been on him three times now and just as a passanger type thing the first two rides. He is very calm and relaxed with every thing. The other day I saddled him up and decided it was time to get him started (Slowly) . He is very willing to move forward and didnt take much at all to get him into a trot for a lap or so. My question is...... How do I teach him to bend and turn and be soft to pressure??? On the ground I have been bending his head around to his sides and at his pole and it dosnt seem to take much of a pull on the halter to get him to bend. When I was on his back trying to get him to bend and turn he kinda just braced him self againt the pressure and went were he wanted to go. ??? I know its going to take time, but what are some things I can do, or what should I be doing?? Thanks so much for your help!! :)

ladybugracer 11-27-2007 11:25 AM

???

Any body, Any body at all??? :cry:

Stepher 11-27-2007 12:00 PM

First, just let him focus on learning his balance. All he really needs to know is stop, go, left and right. Once he is better balanced, you can start to ask him for bending. He's young, theres no sense in rushing him.

MissMollyJ 11-27-2007 04:25 PM

Have you tried ground driving him? Its a lot different for them when you're standing beside him and bending him rather than being behind him and asking for the same thing. I personally have never ground driven, but I hear it works wonders when starting under saddle.

The previous post was good advice too :) Good luck!!

horse_luver4e 11-29-2007 08:12 PM

ask hi to give when you pick up on the reins. Put pressure on his mouth untill he tucks in his head the release.

Sara 11-29-2007 08:25 PM

I agree with the ground driving suggestion, it really does help a lot. In the saddle concentrate on really using a leading rein; your arm may be waay out to the side but you want to make your cues very clear and release as soon as he gives you the proper response.

ladybugracer 12-01-2007 12:40 PM

Thanks!!

Hey, thank you for your answers!! I decided to stay out of the saddle for a bit longer and work from the ground. I have started him with some ground driving and seems to be working well. Thanks again!! :D

Gypsy29 12-08-2007 11:16 PM

Hey, just wondered if you had a bit in when you got on him or was it just a halter. if you were trying to get him to flex with the bit and you have never done it before, that may have confused him. If that is the case I'd recommend flexing him from the ground with a bit in, just like you do with the halter. Also it depends on the horse, but I have found ground driving to be useful. But if you have a spooky horse and you have never tried ground driving before, I'd try it on a different horse until you get the hang of it. lol