The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bridle fitting for a 2 yr old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bridle-fitting-2-yr-old-44933/)

Plains Drifter 01-11-2010 11:26 PM

Bridle fitting for a 2 yr old

For those of you that start your two yr olds, what bridle do you use? I have a couple of headstalls but none of them fit Lillie. Do I just need to make these work by adding extra holes or do I look for a smaller headstall Or will she grow into a regular sized headstall in the next few months?

Can you tell I'm excited for spring to come! :wink:

ilovestitch 01-11-2010 11:28 PM

She will grow into it quicker then you would even break in a new headstall, i say pick one headstall and poke some more holes in it then if you ever get another small horse or youngin you will have one

smrobs 01-12-2010 04:14 AM

That's what we do, just poke more holes. Though she may never have a very big head, it will grow more than you think her 3 year old year. That being said, if the bridle is just ridiculously big on her, like the buckles go up behind her ears and the browband hangs down to her eyes, then I would look for one that is more her size until she grows a bit. :D

luvs2ride1979 01-12-2010 08:08 AM

When we started riding our last horse at 3yrs old, who was just overall a small horse, we just started her in her halter with reins clipped to the side. She responded well to it and it was one less thing to bother her with her first months of training. At around 3.5 she was big enough for an Arab (or Cob) sized bridle, so we started her bit training then. It went smoothly.

Plains Drifter 01-12-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 519807)
When we started riding our last horse at 3yrs old, who was just overall a small horse, we just started her in her halter with reins clipped to the side. She responded well to it and it was one less thing to bother her with her first months of training. At around 3.5 she was big enough for an Arab (or Cob) sized bridle, so we started her bit training then. It went smoothly.

That's what I did on my last two yr old that I started. Of course that was a few years back.