The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Paint horse as jumperrss or eventerrss????!!? help (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/paint-horse-jumperrss-eventerrss-help-44936/)

megannnn 01-11-2010 11:34 PM

Paint horse as jumperrss or eventerrss????!!? help

okay. so i was just wondering have u guys seen any full paint horses be succesful jumpers or eventer?? if so to what height or level?? do u think full paints make good jumpers or eventers?? asumming its one of quarter horse descendent. i know it depends on conformation, mental stability etc.. and it differs from horse to horse. but like the breed in general. I have a paint horse. hes half quarter horse, half paint. but his parents are athletic reiners and halter horses. I bought him unbroke and wanna turn him into a jumper or eventer. but does his breed and breeding give him a chance? i dont want to waste my time or possibly his health if theres no chance.

sorry for the rambling. buts that what id like to know.

gypsygirl 01-12-2010 12:38 AM

my 14.3 hh pinto gelding was the 4th rated novice paint horse in the country a few years ago ! to bad hes not registered....

Maverick101 01-12-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megannnn (Post 519625)
okay. so i was just wondering have u guys seen any full paint horses be succesful jumpers or eventer?? if so to what height or level?? do u think full paints make good jumpers or eventers?? asumming its one of quarter horse descendent. i know it depends on conformation, mental stability etc.. and it differs from horse to horse. but like the breed in general. I have a paint horse. hes half quarter horse, half paint. but his parents are athletic reiners and halter horses. I bought him unbroke and wanna turn him into a jumper or eventer. but does his breed and breeding give him a chance? i dont want to waste my time or possibly his health if theres no chance.

sorry for the rambling. buts that what id like to know.

It is what you make it IMO.

I have some WB that have come from awesome jumper lines...and don't jump well.
I have had some QH's that have come from amazing barrel lines, and haven't done well.

It all depends on the horse.

And especially when a colour breed is involved, don't dismiss the fact that he may be a great jumper based on his coat pattern.

My friend currently does dressage w/her black and white perch/paint cross...and he is beautiful to watch :-)

upnover 01-12-2010 12:09 PM

Breed doesn't matter as much as talent, conformation, and willingness. I showed a paint all last year in the hunters and jumpers and did quite well. He was fabulous!

Brianne Goutal (semi-grand prix rider made famous in "HorsePower- road to the maclays" series) has an amazing little paint named Mon Gamin. He is absolutely adorable and fantastic to watch! Google him, he's great!

Art Deco is a warmblood paint stallion who's sired several nice jumping paints.

They aren't as popular as other coat colors but paints are making their way up in the jumping world. Plus, with the right training most horses can do lower level jumping.

EventinginMI 01-12-2010 04:17 PM

I have a solid-bred paint that I event, comes from QH/ Paint lines. His grandsire is in the reining [I think] hall of fame, or pleasure... not sure, either way, his family lines are all western. He's a gorgeous mover, and talented at that. [Sometimes I feel like I'm holding him back!] He's 16.1hh, the original owners were planning to barrel race him, until he turned out 16.1hh and all leg. =] So... I'm fortunate enough to have found a gorgeous horse meant for jumping, despite not being the "typical" breeds found in eventing/jumping.

StormyBlues 01-12-2010 04:47 PM

My good frriend( if you follow lowerish level eventing he's Jacob Fletcher) events a paint at inermediate level and wins. Here is some pics of him and his wonder horse.http://www.falconsporthorses.com.au/...acobsplash.jpg

megannnn 01-12-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventinginMI (Post 520191)
I have a solid-bred paint that I event, comes from QH/ Paint lines. His grandsire is in the reining [I think] hall of fame, or pleasure... not sure, either way, his family lines are all western. He's a gorgeous mover, and talented at that. [Sometimes I feel like I'm holding him back!] He's 16.1hh, the original owners were planning to barrel race him, until he turned out 16.1hh and all leg. =] So... I'm fortunate enough to have found a gorgeous horse meant for jumping, despite not being the "typical" breeds found in eventing/jumping.

thats really interesting. my horse has sounds alot like ur horse. all legs. tall i think 16 hands and still growing. his parents are reiners the only thing is hes not solid. ...close but not exactly solid.

DressageLady88 01-12-2010 08:45 PM

I had a TBx Paint Mare who was 15.3 and she did better the higher I jumped her! 3'3" Jumpers was her favorite class. But it all depends on the horse. TO be an eventer you need the "balls" for cross country, the agility for jumpers, and the precision for dressage...it always requires a special horse. Just about any horse can jump...wether or not they do it well is the question. Whichever decision you go with...go fort with patience and a good attitude.

Good luck!

DressageLady88 01-12-2010 08:46 PM

And just to show you that breed doesn't hinder...I went to USDF (American Dressage) NATIONALS....with a PURE QUARTER HORSE. I placed fifth!!! NATIONALLY! On a quarter horse. It all depends on training.

MIEventer 01-12-2010 08:48 PM

Yes, Paints, Appaloosa's, Arab's, Draft X's, Pony's, Mules, QH's, Standardbred's and the list goes on, can do Jumpers and Event.

It isn't the breed that matters, it is the conformation. And any breed of horse can do low levels just fine. It is when you get to Mid levels where Conformation starts to weed out the horses in any Equine Sport.