The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   I'm saving up for a horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/im-saving-up-horse-44953/)

horsekindofgirl 01-12-2010 09:32 AM

I'm saving up for a horse.

Okay, my parents won't buy or lease me a horse. I'm almost 14. SO i decided i would.

CHORES:
Clean up after dogs every day, Feed dogs every day, wash dogs monthly, unpack/stack dishwasher daily, keep room clean weekly, iron clothes daily.
Total: $40.00 a week, it may be a bit much but i'm not complaining.

BREED:
So i'll probably need a choose a less expensive, but still beautiful breed of horse, seeing as i would still have to pay board and pay for the food.

MONEY:
At the moment from christmas i have $175.00 and i start my chores tomorrow. So i can get a real job when i'm in year 10 (next year) if the pay is better.

So i was wondering what breed of horse should i look at? How much would it cost to feed it/ buy equipment/ veterinary bills? How much do you think board would cost? And do you think i'll have enough money by the time i'm 20 +

HorseSavvy 01-12-2010 10:07 AM

it all depends on what you want to do with your horse. What discepline (sp?) Do you ride? Board all depends on where you live. The rest also depend on the dicepline you ride, if the horse has any underlying conditions when you buy him/her, etc. The rest of the people on here probably can help you more than me haha! Hope you find a horse you love!

tealamutt 01-12-2010 10:12 AM

Congrats on your dedication to having a horse! It is awesome that you are willing to work so hard to make a dream come true. Can't comment on costs, etc. as I have no idea how things work on OZ (someone on here can help you I'm sure) but I'm sure that by the time you are 20 you will be able to work something out. What I did was get jobs at barns/ find friends with horses and then offer to help out in exchange for lessons. I learned a lot about breeds, handling horses, what discipline I found fun and exciting, etc.

I had to wait until I was 31 to get my first horse, but before that I fulfilled my horse addiction in lots of ways. I had a free lease on an amazing hanovarian who really got me hooked on dressage, which I never thought I'd love. Just try everything until you find the right fit for you. Best of luck!

horsekindofgirl 01-12-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Congrats on your dedication to having a horse! It is awesome that you are willing to work so hard to make a dream come true. Can't comment on costs, etc. as I have no idea how things work on OZ (someone on here can help you I'm sure) but I'm sure that by the time you are 20 you will be able to work something out. What I did was get jobs at barns/ find friends with horses and then offer to help out in exchange for lessons. I learned a lot about breeds, handling horses, what discipline I found fun and exciting, etc.

I had to wait until I was 31 to get my first horse, but before that I fulfilled my horse addiction in lots of ways. I had a free lease on an amazing hanovarian who really got me hooked on dressage, which I never thought I'd love. Just try everything until you find the right fit for you. Best of luck!
Quote:

it all depends on what you want to do with your horse. What discepline (sp?) Do you ride? Board all depends on where you live. The rest also depend on the dicepline you ride, if the horse has any underlying conditions when you buy him/her, etc. The rest of the people on here probably can help you more than me haha! Hope you find a horse you love!
Thanks to both of you.
Horses are just wonderful!
Okay when i was about 5 i took my first lesson, it lasted 3 years before we moved, but three years i started again, i love jumping and trails. To me horses aren't just animals, they are companions and lovely friends, even best friends. And i'm very happy because we will be going down to a family friends farm and they train race horses, so i'm excited to help out and meet the horses. I live in the suburbs about 30 mins away from where i ride. I like buckskin's but i guess any sweet mare would be a loved addition to my family.

FlyinSoLow 01-12-2010 07:16 PM

Here is how I did it when I was 14:

1. I took riding lessons for a year or so
2. Then I asked my instructor if she knew of any barns I could work at, not for money, for free...
3. She knew of one, I worked the summer cleaning stalls in exchange for grooming horses and the occasional ride. I didn't get to ride often but I did get to groom a lot and turn horses in and out every day, plus I learned WAYYY more about the upkeep of horses than I could have found out any other way!
4. I got a horse, and boarded at the barn I was working at for free, but now with some experience I could do things fast and alone so I got money reduced off my board for helping with the barn work!

Fast forward a summer:
I worked off my lessons by helping my instructor at their barn with lessons; tacking kids up and leading them to the arena, picking up who ever was riding and helping them back to the barn and untack then turning the lesson horse out after a hosing and rub down!
By then I was 16 and still working for the barn where my horse was boarded! I was in heaven...

Then I moved my horse to my instructors barn, where I worked assisting in lessons and training.... oddly enough that first year my instructor broke her ribs and I was doing all the 'training' work under her watchful eye. I loved it!

Fast Forward some more:
Eventually I worked for some stables full time, completely working my board off. I gave lessons and trained horses as an assistant instructor and trainer (my instructor this whole time was the main instructor/trainer) . I loved every minute of it.

And with a lot of filler that’s how I was able to continue my passion!
Next on my list: do some showing and try to get another job as an assistant instructor/trainer!

:-P

Gidji 01-12-2010 07:50 PM

Congrats on deciding you want a horse. Did you know in some states of Australia you can get a job at 14? In NSW, NT, SA, TAS you can get a part time job at 14 if you have your parents permission and prove you are capable of working.

I'm not sure what discipline you ride, but in Australia you will pay a lot more for a fully trained youth western horse, than an english Pony Club horse. Because this would be your first horse, I'd assume you'd get a beginner's mount. You'd expect to pay anywhere from $2000 and up to $12,000.

I highly recommed you pick up a copy of HorseDeals from your newsagency and have a flick through it. It'll give you an idea of exactly what type of horse you want. Don't narrow it down to one breed or colour. You may have your heart set on a buckskin, but sometimes you just won't find one thats suitable.

This what I feed my boy and its average pricing. He gets lucernce chaff (about $30 a bag), oaten chaff (about $30 a bag), Mitavite Extra Cool (I think thats about $15 to $20 a bag), Groom (about $40 for an 8kg bucket), and Soya Meal (Not too sure of thats price.) Chaff normally lasts for me about 2 and a half to 3 months. Pellets last about 3 weeks. Groom lasts forever, and so does Soy. Feed prices vary depending on what you're feeding, and what season it is.

Before you even think of purchasing a horse make sure you have about $3000 to $10,000 in an account. Emergency equine surgery is not cheap! If anything ever goes wrong, it's good that you have that money to support you and your horse.

You can get some pretty cheap tack on Ebay. Sometimes second hand is alot better than those cheap synthectic ones. Goodwoods (Goodwood Saddlery) has a great range of cheap saddles that are great if you're just starting out. In my honest opinion, I would just buy a good quality 2nd hand saddle.

Arr Vet bills. Everybody loves vets but hates the prices that come with them. In the city, vets charge a lot more in my opinion. In semi-rural areas, the prices are pretty **** good and in rural areas, they will charge more just because they have to travel more out there. My boy's teeth get floated twice a year ($130 each time) and he get's his shots done yearly ($110).

Now to the farrier. My boys gets his feet trimmed every 6 to 7 weeks as he is barefoot and only a yearling. I pay $33 for a trim and my Mum's horses are shod and that costs $85. Prices will vary according to where you live and what you want done.

If you want to show, then the prices go up even more. For most shows, you need to be registered with the appropriate breed or showing society. You also need to pay entry fees which can add up to quite a lot. You'll need to hire a stable, a camping spot etc. You'll need to have a float which costs quite a lot. My float as much as 3 of our horses purchasing prices combined.

Horses honestly do cost quite a lot, but are quite rewarding.

Unwoven 01-12-2010 10:03 PM

Not to burst your bubble...
Im a couple years older than you and I just got my first horse. You're gonna need a looot more then 40 a week to support a horse. :/ Theres a LOT of money put into a horse, and the horse isnt even part of it. Heck -- you can get a decent horse for a couple hundreds if you know what your doing. By the time you save it ALL up. Your gonna use it ALL and then your going to be struggling to keep up again.

I have 2 part time jobs, have the cheapest board of the area, save what i can, and spend NO extra money use it all on my horse. and still can't do it on my own. I still need my parents to pay half.

Think about it.

Horse; 400-6000 for a decent horse and since your a first time owner, you need one pretty well trained, the more trained they are the more the price goes up.

Board; 350-1000 a MONTH

Feet; Depends if shod or not 35-120 every 6-8 weeks..

Vet bills: +400 and you dont want to IMAGINE what happends if he gets sick.

Tack you'll need to start off; At least around 1000... including grooming, sprays, blankets all that crap.

Showing; Can range..

Lessons/coaching: can range again..

Theres more.. I just hope you can get the picture... unless you can for sure support this on your own. Entirely. I wouldnt suggest it. Parents are a great help.

Unwoven 01-12-2010 10:10 PM

Now on the NOT so negative side..
Get a part time job... it'll help morethen chores..
also..get a part boarder.. it'll help with the pay :]

Theres other things you can do as well... work at the barn you board at to lower the board price. :] Theres small things..

But you also have school and as a teenager you prob wanna go out. x3 So it gives you less spending money..when you own. ALL of it goes to your horse.

Becca93 01-13-2010 01:10 AM

Thanks for the Australia costs guys! It really heaps to get everything worked out.

horsekindofgirl 01-13-2010 04:45 AM

Okay i understand now, it costs A LOT. But i remember, a close family friend of outs is a vet who specializes in horses. So maybe that could help. And boarding doesn't sound cheap so i could pay off some buy doing chores at the school. I understand this will not be cheap. But i'm prepared to give up everything for a horse. And apart from doing chores at my house, i'm babysitting tomorrow. It would be alot easier if i lived on a farm :)