The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How Do I Get My Horse To Collect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-i-get-my-horse-44963/)

mandik92 01-12-2010 01:32 PM

How Do I Get My Horse To Collect?

Hello ^_^
i have a 17yr old mare who has never been trained to collect (go on the bit) and i want to use her for showing and need her to collect. can someone please tell me how?
thank-you <3

Scoutrider 01-12-2010 01:59 PM

Firstly, collection and on-the-bit are 2 different things (any more experienced dressage rider please correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm still learning this myself). The quality of being on the bit (or on the aids) is acceptance of the bit and rein aids, as well as all of the other aids: leg, seat, voice, etc. Collection is the culmination of the dressage training scale, and will sort of just fall together when you have all of the steps before it mastered (Rhythm, suppleness, contact, impulsion, straightness). It is not something that can be taught, the way a horse can learn that pressure from one leg means move sideways. If your mare doesn't collect, it is probably because she is lacking in one or more of the steps of the training scale.

Here is an excellent article about putting the horse on the bit that I've found very helpful: The Art of Classical Riding--On the Bit I know it's a pretty dressage-specific article, but the principles hold for correctly riding on the bit in any discipline.

RedTree 06-14-2011 01:29 AM

umm how would saddle companies help?

I like Scoutriders post though :)

If you need any more help just search through the old posts for something like collection, going on the bit there is bound to be millions

RedTree 06-14-2011 01:31 AM

okay just relized this thread was old

lillied13 06-15-2011 03:27 PM

This might be an old post, but that article was actually really helpful :P

Someone told me really recently that when a horse was fully on the bit his forelock and withers would be aligned horizontally, but now I'm assuming that that's wrong..

Scoutrider 06-15-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillied13 (Post 1066140)
This might be an old post, but that article was actually really helpful :P

Someone told me really recently that when a horse was fully on the bit his forelock and withers would be aligned horizontally, but now I'm assuming that that's wrong..

I'm glad to hear that the article was/is helpful! The entire website is a goldmine of information. :D

Yeah, I'm not even able to visualize what horizontally aligned withers and forelock would look like, to be honest... unless you mean that the poll is at the same height at the withers? A horse can be on the bit with the poll even with the withers, but GP dressage horses are on the bit with their polls decidedly higher than the withers in most cases.

At any rate, looking at the front of the horse alone won't determine whether he's properly on the bit/on the aids or not. Yes, a horse that is on the aids will have a certain head carriage, but a horse who is evading the bit can look similar if that's the only part of the picture. Properly on the aids, the back will be lifting and rounding (you won't see a downward angle from the hips to the cantle of the saddle), the hindquarters will be engaged and the hind legs tracking up, etc.

Where collection in the dressage sense comes into the picture, as I understand it, is when the horse begins to distribute his weight evenly across all four legs. As the hind legs begin to bear more weight, the joints compress and everything gets shorter in length and longer in height. The length from tail to muzzle shortens as the back lifts and rounds and the pelvis tucks in, and the length from ground to poll increases as the shoulders elevate slightly. The movement of the legs changes similarly with different degrees of collection - as the horse advances into higher degrees, the distance covered per step shortens, but the legs (all four of them :wink: ) remain active, coming higher in the execution of each stride.

Another wonderfully informative and helpful article on dressage-sense collection from an equally wonderful and informative website. ::: Sustainable Dressage - Collection & Its Evasions - True Collection - What It Is and How to Achieve It :::