The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Dressage Attire (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/dressage-attire-44969/)

eventerwannabe 01-12-2010 01:49 PM

Dressage Attire

So woudl this be a proper set up for a dressage show (what levels)?

Show Jacket:
EOUS Olympia Dressage Coat Ladies - Statelinetack.com -- Really like this one, you can use the WM, dont have to dry clean.

Dress Boots:
Dublin Aristocrat Zip Dress Boots - Statelinetack.com

Helmets (help me choose?):
International ATH Helmet with Dial - Statelinetack.com -or-
International ATH Velveteen Helmet with Dial Fit System - Dover Saddlery. -or-
Charles Owen JR8 Junior Riding Helmet - Dover Saddlery.

Breeches:
Devon-Aire Cool Cotton Full Seat Riding Breeches - Dover Saddlery. -and/or-
Tuff Rider Aerocool Full Seat Riding Breeches - Dover Saddlery. (plus I would have schoolers for at home)

Stock Tie:
Devon-Aire Pre-Tied Stock Tie - Dover Saddlery.

Show shirt:
Ladies Concour Long Sleeve Show Shirt - Dover Saddlery.

Do you think that is an okay get up for intro-2nd (though I wont be showing 2nd for another few years)? Show me your dressage attire! =]

sillybunny11486 01-12-2010 02:23 PM

For schooling I just wear my regular h/j show outfit. Ive never seen anyone in anything but either a hunt coat or a shadbelly.

To me this seems appropriate for up to second level. But Ive also only shows in schooling (and they only had entrants in intro and first.)

~*~anebel~*~ 01-12-2010 04:06 PM

Hunt coats are not appropriate for dressage, shadbellies are only legal at PSG and above. The dressage coat you have selected is appropriate, just make sure it fits!!! It is so worth it to take it to a tailor and have it made to fit you perfectly.
For the boots, it doesn't matter really what kind you get as long as they fit you. As you move up the levels you will want to invest in a pair of Cavallo, Petrie, Konig or other real dress boot. The stiff boot and high quality leather looks very sharp, and I find they improve the look of the leg.
For a helmet, a plain velvet helmet is appropriate. The ones with the front vents are butt ugly and made for the jumper/hunter ring. In dressage they look tacky. I have an plain velvet IRH with a dial that I adore and although it still has the same safety features as the other helmets with the front vent, and adequate ventilation without looking like ass, it was much less expensive. Save the money from your helmet for a top hat when you are older.
Breeches are personal taste. Personally, I dislike both those breeches. If you do decide to purchase either, you are going to want to look into purchasing white underwear as well because even if you wear a light pink or grey, everyone watching will know it. I ride only in Ariat, Arista and RTS because they are the highest quality and I can wear bright pink undies if I'm in a pinch and no one will be the wiser.
For the stock tie, make sure you are also getting a pin. There are really cute ones available in tack shops, and you can get a steal if you go to an antique shop and pick up an old pin. Plus no one will have it!
For shirts, I prefer short sleeves. I find it gets very hot, even a few hundred miles north of you! Get white, or any pastel colour.
And make sure you are purchasing a pair of white gloves, and if you have long hair a show bow.

Good luck!

eventerwannabe 01-12-2010 05:29 PM

That is just the information I wanted and needed Anebel; thank you!

Would the Charles Owen I posted work? I will still be doing hunter/jumper along side dressage, so I want to have something that will look nice for both.
Charles Owen JR8 Junior Helmet from SmartPak Equine

I might be able to afford these breeches (do these look okay for shows):
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=585910985

How do you like this stock pin:
Horse Head Stock Tie/Choker Pin from SmartPak Equine
-or-
4 Leaf Clover w/CZ Stock Tie/Choker Pin from SmartPak Equine

Gloves:
Ariat<sup></sup> Air Grip Gloves from SmartPak Equine -- Would it be okay to have these until I hit 2nd level showing? Or should I have white gloves for showing dressage no matter what?

I already have an okay hair bow, but I will probably invest in a nicer one later on. =]

Is there anything im missing?

~*~anebel~*~ 01-12-2010 11:39 PM

JR8s are fine. They are priceyer, but hey if they fit your head go for it! I cant fit my noggin into any of their helmets (I'm an "L" in IRH). Any plain velvet helmet will look at home in any ring.
Try the Ariats on in your fave pair of loudly printed undies and then see if you like them. I find that Ariats have good enough quality fabric, but I don't have a white pair.
Stock pins are personal preference. I like huge gaudy ones with so many rhinestones that I'm liable to blind the judge. Right now I'm wearing a Swedish Warmblood breed logo one with rhinestones.
This is a pet peeve of mine, colour of gloves, that is. When I am sitting at a booth at C I know exactly where your hands are, despite the colour of your gloves. Heck, even with "invisibility gloves" I'd still know where they are! As a general rule your hands should stay firmly attached to the ends of your arms for the whole test. There are a few select cases where the rider's hands might not be, but 99% of the time it's a safe assumption to make. Wear white gloves, it looks so much classier.
Coming down center line as a rider, you want to appear like a professional rider. This means everything fitted properly, no loose straps and impeccable attention to detail in your turnout. First impressions count, especially in a judged sport. Anything you can do to sway the judge you should do.

Good luck!